Yote Hunting with Zeus 3 640 72mm

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Last weekend I hunted yotes shot one by the time I got my mud boots on and went to the field 180 yds all I found was blood trail to a creek. Dang. This weekend I see a pair walking in and I let them get closer. Took a shot at first one it ran into near by woods lost angle on it so I start shooting at the other on the run. It goes down. I was all excited. I watch for a while to make sure it stays down. Sure enough it get up Pull trigger out of ammo. The next day is so foggy can't go looking. Well my neighbor calls me while I am at lunch today and says I found your yote near his back yard. Dang dead since Friday with temps in the 70. I wish I would have found it earlier. Beautiful pelt. Will try again this weekend range was 80yds shoot with my 6.8 POF SBR with suppressor using hand loaded 95gr Barnes TTSXs. Sure would have liked that pelt!
02b9314b7a805e690417d3969596ab68_zpsdzaotbhd.jpg

8d5e1c1753ad41a87b6dc590700853ba_zpsjrufjrud.jpg

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He was a fluffy one. Nice going! Did you get the other one dead?? BANG BANG!!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Purdy feller, almost a shame though, using up a 95 TTSX on a 'yote.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Killem' Rob!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Purdy feller, almost a shame though, using up a 95 TTSX on a 'yote.
I have a taxidermist that makes the most beautiful head and feet on pelts. I want one to hange next to my boar's head. That would have been perfect if I had found it Friday night. Decided to use the TTSXs due to small holes in and out. I can't believe it got up solid broadside chest shot. That's why it is hunting not killing I guess.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a taxidermist that makes the most beautiful head and feet on pelts. I want one to hange next to my boar's head. That would have been perfect if I had found it Friday night. Decided to use the TTSXs due to small holes in and out. I can't believe it got up solid broadside chest shot. That's why it is hunting not killing I guess.
I unnerstan'. Warm enough that he got funky before being found, eh? Shame... fine pelt on him.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's a beautiful pelt on that one. They don't usually look that good down here. Sorry you lost him.

chthump

LSB Member
For you guys in North Texas, almost all of the coyotes I've seen/shot have been very healthy, filled out, nice coat, full sized.
How does this compare to the rest of LSB crowd?? They just seem like a healthy crowd this year, compared to most.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For you guys in North Texas, almost all of the coyotes I've seen/shot have been very healthy, filled out, nice coat, full sized.
How does this compare to the rest of LSB crowd?? They just seem like a healthy crowd this year, compared to most.
Where are we in the 7 yr. cycle of rabbit population?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I haven't been out as much yet this season as usual, but I have seen a LOT more rabbits than normally. Don't know what that means though.

chthump

LSB Member
Thats interesting that you mentioned rabbits, I was just looking at 4 cottontails in my back pasture and I typically don't see any. I guess my question is answered.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have lots of rabbits hang in woods around my house. I wanted to check zero so last night across my creek cotton tail was sitting on a rock at 86yds and is history figured zero was good.
a6388b47d02b9c039d947fe741b803e1_zpsr1orv5al.jpg

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I unnerstan'. Warm enough that he got funky before being found, eh? Shame... fine pelt on him.
It was way stinky 76 here in NC today dang bulbs are coming up and cherry trees are blooming. El Niño is on.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang Yotes! I had a coyote trotting my direction across a large pasture this morning. I was standing at the fence line scanning with my scope for hogs. I did not have a round chambered, I was actually there to check my hog trap set last night.
This coyote appears out of nowhere, I jack a round in the chamber and he stops, quartering towards me at about 100 yds. I touch it off and he's DRT....I am looking around for other critters and notice the him dragging his backend towards the fence, now I have cattle beyond him and can't take a finishing shot. I am just kind of shocked he got up, shot went in behind front shoulder and exited probably far side gut area. Apparently these Fusions don't do enough damage on a soft target like a couple of you said. He is dead somewhere but couldn't find him in the brush. So Rob, they run from others too after taking what should have been a lethal drt.