WTT Weatherby Vanguard .308 for 6.8SPC

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will probably kick myself for this, but I am really wanting a 6.8 SPC and just don't have the money to buy one so here is what I'm looking at. I have a Weatherby Vanguard Sporter .308, stainless action and barrel, walnut stock, topped with a Nikon Buckmasters 4-16x44 stainless scope. My dad bought the gun for me back in 2006 and since then I have gone through just over 2 boxes of shells. This rifle is insanely accurate. I can shoot a 1/2" 3 shot group at 100 yds. I love this rifle, but I'm looking for an all purpose gun (deer, hog, coyote, etc.), and to be honest I almost don't like carrying this rifle with me to the deer blind because it's such a pretty rifle, so I want to trade it for a rifle that I won't feel bad carrying into the woods with me. I'm looking for an AR chambered in 6.8 SPC with optics mounted and ready to go just like my .308 is. I don't want t have to add anything to it, I want to swap a good shooting rifle for a good shooting rifle. Back when my dad purchased this setup for me the rifle cost $1199 and the scope was $399 so this isn't a cheap rig. I'm posting this from work but I can post pictures of the rifle when I get home.

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I forgot to add a picture didn't I? I will do that this evening for anyone who is interested.

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I may even consider trading my rifle for a nice 6.8 upper that I can just swap on and off of my current lower until I can buy a lower.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What would be the ideal upper in your situation?

What are you looking for? An SBR or a 16" or a long range weapon?

Which bullet weights are your first choice?

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm not sure as far as brands go because I'm relatively new to the AR world. I would want a proven/trusted brand barrel though or trusted/proven parts if it is a built upper. This gun would replace my .308 for deer and hog hunting. This would be my go-to rifle when deer season rolls around and my hog gun.

-I would be looking for an 16" or 18" barrel, although I would rather have an 18" barrel, SPCII chamber of course.
-Mid length gas system, low profile block
-I don't need a big quad-rail hand guard, I want something light weight and sleek like a hunting rifle should be, free float, full length top rail for optics mounting with some small rails on the sides and bottom up front for my kill light to attach to and a bipod if I choose. I want my hand guard to be at least rifle length (12") or maybe even extended-rifle length (15").
-As I said this will be a hunting gun so I would be most likely be running Hornady 120gr SST's or something similar for more knock down power.
-Must be as lightweight as possible

Honestly to give you an idea of what I am looking for, the new Rock River X-1 6.8 is set up exactly how I want. I've been fantasizing about them since I first saw them and my local gun store got 2 of them in last week so I went by this weekend and held them and drooled for a while. Its super light weight, lighter in fact than my 16" barrel, carbine length hand guard .223. Its nice and sleek and not all "tacticooled" out. To me it is the epitome of a "hunting" AR, and that's what I'm looking for.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Saw this and thought of you. It may be worth a email.

http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=554395

It is one of ***'s guns when they usto make complete guns. They no longer make complete guns, due to hassle with FFL's and such. But still make the same great products just without a FFL.

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, I appreciate that. I have an account on TGT I just don't go over there very often anymore. I've actually purchased a few guns off of there. However, since I posted this I have talked my wife into letting me build a 6.8. It will be a slow process, but I also wont have to get rid of my 308 to do it either.