Would you trust a 6.8 on a black bear?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There are more on Youtube, of course. I ran out of time screening videos to post. I never found the one I had seen previously where the bear makes it up to the guy's boot, sniffs it a couple of times, and then goes wild trying to bite it and grab it before being shoo'd down the ladder. The guy was being calm like these other hunters and the bear seemed calm and curious like these bears, but turned on the hunter very fast.

My hat is off to all these hunters for remaining calm and cool. I think that had I been in any of those videos, there would likely be a dead bear at the bottom of the ladder.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm with you Brian... if claws/teeth are close enough to do me harm... it's time to shoot the danged thing. No bear should learn it's safe to come that close to a human.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Bow Hunting deer in Montana a few years back, I had a 16 yr old kid with me, my brother was on the opposite ridge. The kid and I got between a Sow and her cubs, the grass was tall there and hard to see, the cubs climbed a tree close to us and started bawling. She was up the hill a bit and at the first growl, we ran up a big tree that had fallen over. She came at us snapping and snarling and fast, instinctively I drew back my long bow and let her have one. It hit her in the rear hip area and she turned and growled, the cubs came down and ran off with her, it was a little tense. I was more concerned about the kid getting eaten on my watch so had to take the shot.

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My hat is off to all these hunters for remaining calm and cool. I think that had I been in any of those videos, there would likely be a dead bear at the bottom of the ladder.
Miz Kris watched all those last night and the first thing she said was "Why don't they just shoot'em?" It's my opinion that I wouldn't want to if I didn't feel I absolutely had to. But I'd also prefer to keep myself outta "paw's reach" while that decision is being made. :(
That whole thing is pretty situational, I guess. While I currently do not hunt with a bow, if I did I'd not be very interested in being without a "formidable" sidearm for just such occasions.
That cat in the "chewing" vid was kinda funny about it all. I'd like to think I could maintain, but hard ta tell till ya have bear breath in yer face! :confused: d:^) Jake..

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Miz Kris watched all those last night and the first thing she said was "Why don't they just shoot'em?" It's my opinion that I wouldn't want to if I didn't feel I absolutely had to. But I'd also prefer to keep myself outta "paw's reach" while that decision is being made. :(
That whole thing is pretty situational, I guess. While I currently do not hunt with a bow, if I did I'd not be very interested in being without a "formidable" sidearm for just such occasions.
That cat in the "chewing" vid was kinda funny about it all. I'd like to think I could maintain, but hard ta tell till ya have bear breath in yer face! :confused: d:^) Jake..

There is an old saying. Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes,... well let's just say I don't want the 2nd part to happen. They would get ample warning. I would not want to have to shoot one either, especially if I was there hunting something else.