Win8RT, What I Learned Today

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
New purchase this morning: Quicken Home and Business 2014. Installed on my laptop (Win7), set-up, account information input done, mobile app for my Android phone installed and sync'd with the laptop. All good.

THEN... I learned that my Tablet with the Win8RT OS isn't supported by Quicken, nor do they have an app for this tablet platform. Their Tech Support "Chat" was pretty much a waste of time. More loss of connection with a name that appears to be of eastern Indian origin than time spent conversing. And, he/she (don't know for sure) couldn't answer my questions.

So... I'd found another potential option for my Win8RT tablet. It's called "Mint", and is a cloud based (free) product. It's also supposed to be a branch of Quicken. Must be a distant "cousin" however... since the foreign name in "chat" couldn't tell me whether "Mint" will talk to/reconcile with "Quicken". Right now, I'm awaiting a reply from "Mint" on whether the two pieces of software will talk to one another.

Quicken will talk to Microsoft's Money... but, that isn't included with the Win8RT version of Office... so, finding out where I stand.

If nothing else, I can input data to my phone while on the road, I can use the new (handy) feature of Quicken 2014 called "Snap", which allows me to take a pic of a receipt and attach it to the Quicken Mobile App, and then sync it to my laptop once I return home.

And... since the only thing I got from the foreigner was a link to the "Give us Feedback" page of Quicken... I let them know their chat feature was of no use, and have asked if/when the Win8RT platform will have some support from Quicken.

If any of you are shopping for a new tablet and/or home accounting software, figured I'd share what I learned today.

It's been a long day, I'm tired.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hate new software and all the different platforms!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In spite of the bump in the road, this is still going to be a major improvement over what I was using before. A friend had given me a copy of a spreadsheet developed by some bean counter, which had some glitter tossed at it. All manual input, don't think it was set up to import/export, it didn't prepare tax preparation reports.

Quicken isn't flawless, but, a few YouTube learning sessions gives a newbie a basic handle on navigating/using it. It links directly to my bank for transaction history/categorization. And it creates some useful tools/reports to look at the big picture too.