TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wow! Hope he makes a quick recovery. This is why I carry a pistol and don't chase hogs into the brush. Even while guiding I have a sbr and a pistol on me at all times.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wow! I grew up down there but thankfully never ran into anything like that. Just cotton mouth moccasins.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
2 notes, he is a cop and did not have a side arm on and I also wear knee high snake boots, hopefully preventing his calf injury.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A lot of folks are "attacked" by animals, usually when the animals are startled, cornered, injured, etc. Walking up on a bedded hog can cause a negative response, especially if you don't even know it is there and you get that close without being ready to shoot it.

I was more impressed with the wrong information in the articles. The above article described razor-sharp teeth. Hogs don't have razor sharp teeth, LOL. Few animals have razor sharp teeth and most have been dulled over time.

In this article, it describes the armor like plating around the chest. Hogs don't have any armor plating around the chest. It is on the shoulders and back.
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20140204/SPORTS08/302040041/Wild-boar-gashes-Slidell-man

No doubt Morris wasn't worried about carrying a pistol. He was hunting squirrel. He could probably handle a squirrel attack.

dehoganator

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The 150 to 175 lb. Class hog can move there cutters faster than the big nasties.
The article said there are two options, lol well they are both mistake.
My advise from experience is to stand and fight meaning shoot. Any other move shows fear that a hog, just like a dog can smell making you the hunted.
Good aarticle , we can all learn thanks for sharing.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
man, think he would have felt that. I left my blind looking for a 120 pound boar last week, leaving my rifle in the blind, but was carrying my Kel-tec PMR-30 with 30 rounds od 22 Magnum, but in the holster and scanning with my thermal for the hog, guess maybe I need to have it more ready.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Would always carry rifle. My Uncle in OK sent me the story. Told him I was caring a hog killing weapon with 25 rds. If I was instate my 460 Rowland would be on my side and maybe my tomahawk.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I dunno... too many years of Alaskan wilderness and Washington wilderness. Too many things capable of and looking to EAT you. Homie wants something more than a pea-shooter.