Why the sudden hog activity

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was originally going to put this in the hunting stories section, but this section seems better for educational purposes..
Couple people around my dad's place near camp wood tx have suddenly seen a few pigs after not seeing anything for months. Why?
Word on the street is that after some rain out there they start moving around a lot more. It drizzled/rained for a few days in a row out there (which is a big deal bc rain is hard to come by out there) and a day or two after that my dad's friend has a pig in the trap and tonight my dad sat in a stand with a bag of chaffhaye on top of the feeder and one in the stand with him (without a gun, bc he got the trapped pig for meat yesterday) looking for axis and sure enough a little black boar came out about 45 mins before dark. Initially came out on the other side of a fence about 20 yards from him. Stood there for a while lookin for a place to cross....walked 50 yards down the fence line came back and walked another hundred yard down the fence line in the opposite direction (stopping in front of the feeder for a minute with the fence blocking him) where he found a crossing point. Couple mins later he came out from cover and ate the corn under the feeder for a good while until dark. 30 yards in front of the blind is a roll barrel with soured corn in it. He didn't pay any attention to that. 30 yards past that is the feeder. So he came out by the blind and then walked right by it with the chaffhaye in it and then chose the corn under the feeder with the chaffhaye on it over the roll barrel with soured corn.
So I started thinking.....Maybe he just didn't wanna have to kick the barrel around for the soured corn. Maybe he smelled my dad once he crossed the fence bc the wind may have been blowing in that direction so he didn't wanna get too close. Maybe since my dad lives out there and his smell is everywhere out there already the pig didnt care about his smell. Being a small boar maybe he was just young and not a smart pig..... "Maybe there's something really cool that I don't know about"
lol
And maybe I live in the middle of Houston where there aren't any pigs and I have too much time to overthink everything and not enough time to hunt the damn pigs.
(I know y'all are thinking this is too long and drawn out)......"What... I thought we were in the trust tree.. The nest... Are we not!?"

I will get a game cam report In about 4 days.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I see more hog activity for a couple days after a good rain. It softens the soil, cools the temps, and fresh growth comes up.

The hogs are hitting the fresh winter wheat fields in my area. We had 1.8" of rain last week and about .4 inches this week. Temps have warmer up but it is not hot and fresh shoots are growing. The hogs are happy for now.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It is just that time of year, seeing increased activity here too...happens every year.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The farmers are planting so the hogs are moving to the food sources.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We are getting so much rain the swamps are flooding and moving them out...then the sows are having litters and they are on the move for food.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I see more hog activity for a couple days after a good rain. It softens the soil, cools the temps, and fresh growth comes up.

The hogs are hitting the fresh winter wheat fields in my area. We had 1.8" of rain last week and about .4 inches this week. Temps have warmer up but it is not hot and fresh shoots are growing. The hogs are happy for now.
Glad you guys had some rain I know that you need it and more

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ya.. must be that time of year, and maybe the rain too. got a handfull of pigs runing around on camera now between my dads land a few of his neighbors.