Why I like the 6.5 Grendel...article

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
6.8 Great 300YD and under gun much more capable then the 5.56 or .223, plus many types of factory loaded ammo to choose from.

6.5 Great 600YD gun, can be reloaded at normal reloading costs after the brass is purchased.
Shooting at 400yd plus is not a plinker, so not much ammo is used.

I am looking for a 400YD plus gun, being able to swap uppers is a plus for me.
With a longer barrel for distance and much heavier it's not a replacement for the 5.56 but a new tool for longer ranges. The 6.8 is a replacement for the 5.56 300yds and under as I see it.

6.8 is still my go to gun for hogs...because of the distance. But because I'm a wildcatter also, even though I own two .264's, my long range gun is a 6BRX, spitting out a 95gr Berger at 3156 fps and 105gr at 3050 fps...all out of a 20" barrel....but for factory loaded ammo for those that don't reload, the 6.5/.264 is a good long range hunting gun....

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I had a 243 Ackley in a bolt gun for awhile, lots of fun. Glenn Seekins of Seekins Precision came to the PRI match here last year with an AR10 based 243.

*** is making a lightweight barrel, bolt, upper in 260, I have one reserved. Downrange performance should be great.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
They are both great cartridges. I plan on having a 6.5 one of these days, but I just don't see the need right now. I recommend the 6.8 due to the availability of factory ammo and that is all. Either one will work for shooting hogs. But as 81police said its splitting frog hairs.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shoulda told me you had an article coming out before I asked you all those questions hahahaha

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Enjoyed reading your article Brian. I thought it was well written, factual and balanced. I have been pleased with the performance my *** 6.8 12.5"suppressed SBR provides out to 250 yds, but I can see where a 6.5 would fit the bill for shooting well over 300 yds from an AR15 platform with factory ammo.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tag for later read.

Drift

LSB Member
My 6.5 Grendel worked fine on a charging hog at 1 yard or so, the 140 gr bullets will put them down quick. It works well @ 50 to 300 yards as well; no trouble passing through that side plate boars have. I keep hearing how well it will work @ 600 yards but I haven't taken those shots shots yet. Coyotes at 700 yards it works well.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nothing wrong w the grendel we just like to pick on Brian, does yours ping like his??

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice article. I decided on the 264LBC/Grendel primarily due to the unique nature of the cartridge. I did not have any problem finding ammo or loading components. Have more than enough to reload 2k rounds. So far the accuracy has held true. My 20" BHW barrel shoots .5-.6MOA using Black Hills 123AMAX. I have not had as much time to develop loads for this caliber yet but will soon.

I like oddball calibers, well 2 of them anyway. I really like the 458SOCOM and the 264LBC is catching up fast.