Why I like the 6.5 Grendel...article

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank gets on me from time to time about my puny caliber 6.5 Grendel, usually when a hog doesn't fall over dead or a coyote doesn't vaporize into bits of flesh and fur. So this is for you, Frank!

http://ar15hunter.com/the-6-5-grendel-ar15-my-go-to-gun-for-hogs-and-predators/

The editor of AR15Hunter.com was nice enough to ask me about my experiences with the caliber and if I would put something together. That I could finally have a public rebuttal to Frank just made it a joy to write. :D

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey Brian, congrats on the article. Well written. But, you forgot to tell 'em about the PING factor... and the Angry Bird stamp of approval... and that it bakes cookies too.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you talkin' about this Frank? I am confused, must be another as I never said anything against the 6.5....of course H at *** has just made it obsolete with his new creation. Anyway I a hoping you are talking about another Frank

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
YEAH for the Grendel!!! BANG BANG!!DSCN0055.JPG
Nice write up.

Last edited:

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Nice job!

I was just reading about the 6.5mm, the creedmore, the rem .260 , and the grendel.
I am looking for a longer range more effective cartridge then the .223 without the recoil of the .308.
Going to check pricing on the grendel, as reloading is not a problem.
Grendel fits ar15 lowers, creed more and 260 fit ar10 lowers, so I will stick to small frame lowers.

Found 20" grendel upper with ,muzzle brake,bolt, and charging handle $570.00 going to order next payday. Just ordered photon xt, with high scope mount 489.00 total with free shipping.

Last edited:

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well written article, timely information for me as I am looking to step up from the .223. Thanks.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know as a user who found what worked for for my needs, I had apparently missed out or forgotten about Precision Firearms ammo offerings. I knew they made parts/uppers and such, but apparently they have 8-10 loadings for the Grendel as well. http://www.precisionfirearms.com/29.html A couple of their followers have let me know of my transgression, but PF alone just about doubles the variety of available ammo out there.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice article but I would suggest going with the 6.8 over the 6.5 in my opinion the 6.8 is only going to grow in popularity. The only reason I ran see to choose the 6.5 would be long range paper punching!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Well written Brian, not a lot of fluff, to the point, gives the readers a first hand experience.

The Grendel is a very capable round, not only for long range shooting because of the high BC bullets available, but a great hunting cartridge because there are lots of bullets in the 6.5mm designed specifically for the purpose, such as the 123gr SST.

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Loyal Grendelier here! (well except for that one night with the 6.8SPC).

GREAT article Brian, you did really well putting it together. Dr. Ping! I love it

The 6.5 really puts em down

Attachments

• DSC00931.JPG
    DSC00931.JPG
    621.3 KB · Views: 5

Hard_ware

Nice article but I would suggest going with the 6.8 over the 6.5 in my opinion the 6.8 is only going to grow in popularity. The only reason I ran see to choose the 6.5 would be long range paper punching!

6.5mm+Grendel+VS+6.8mm+SPC.jpg

Chart leeched from www
6.8 300yd gun, 6.5 550yd gun. Using 18" barrel numbers bump up a little higher.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yea that's the chart all the 6.5 and .300 blackout guys love to use its the anemic Remington spec 1 chart. Kind of like Obama's employment rate charts it's very misleading lol.

I'm not saying the 6.5 is bad or a bad hunting round. I'm saying the 6.8 has passed it and will continue to widen the gap as a mainstream hunting cartridge.
There will continue to be more manufactures of weapons and ammunition focusing more on the 6.8 than the 6.5 . My comments are more for the guys looking to step up from the 5.56 or blackout not for the ones already invested in the 6.5. It is something they should really consider.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ditto^^^

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I think it comes down to what you are going to use it for. If mainly for short distances like hog hunting, the 6.8 gets the nod because it has a little more uumph than the 6.5 and a wider range of hunting bullets where BC isn't as much of a concern. But we don't load 10 different types of bullets, we stick with one we like.

But if you live where you can shoot long distances the higher BC bullets of the 6.5 has better terminal ballistics downrange. The 120 SST of the 6.8 has a BC of .400 and the 123 SST of the 6.5 has a BC of .510 which will carry the weight better. So if you compared and all-around cartridge at all ranges, it's hard to beat the 6.5.

But the article isn't about which is better at any distance, it's just about using the 6.5G as a hunting cartridge, in which it is highly capable. Whether you have a hog at 100 yards or deer at 600, it will surely get the job done if you do your part.

I've got all kinds of calibers, it's fun shooting them all, some are better than others for the intended purpose. My next time out will take a couple different guns of different cartridges that are fully capable for taking hogs, but not as capable of the 6.5G or 6.8, but will be a lot of fun.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Again my comments are aimed at the guys wanting to step up from the 5.56 for hog hunting. The 6.5 is a great caliber I just feel it will not be as mainstream therefore not as available over time.

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
we're splittin frog hairs here ;)

Hard_ware

6.8 Great 300YD and under gun much more capable then the 5.56 or .223, plus many types of factory loaded ammo to choose from.

6.5 Great 600YD gun, can be reloaded at normal reloading costs after the brass is purchased.
Shooting at 400yd plus is not a plinker, so not much ammo is used.

I am looking for a 400YD plus gun, being able to swap uppers is a plus for me.
With a longer barrel for distance and much heavier it's not a replacement for the 5.56 but a new tool for longer ranges. The 6.8 is a replacement for the 5.56 300yds and under as I see it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
the AR in 270 is calling your name or ***'s grendel replacement, smokes it!