Who has used the heavy duty Military Thermals? How do they compare?

znztivguy

LSB Member
Hi,
I'm pretty sure there are some of y'all out there that have had experience using the different mil spec units out there like the PAS 13's (various ones), CNVD-T, BAE OASYS units, how do they differ and compare to the commercial stuff out there?
Can you please enlighten us? Are they worth the extra cost, like in the LWTS (also a mil/civi unit)

JPK

LSB Active Member
I have a bud who has owned some of those. Among others, the LWTS and CNVD-T as I recall.

The CNVD-T has a very pleasing view, but while the view was pleasing detail was "blended" and the view was not really sharp.

The LWTS has a great, sharper view. The IR Defense Hunter MK II and Patrol have very similar views, a bit sharper but a little "harsher" with more contrast, even after playing with user controls on both units.

After looking through those two and other military issued thermals my bud has owned I got the impression that maybe the military prefers a smoother more "blended," less harsh image. IMO, detail was lost because of the lesser contrast, blended view on the military units which proceeded the LWTS. The LWTS has it all. But I would go with the very similar views through the IRD units because of the price difference.

JPK

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I dont thing there is enough difference to justify the price.

AKay

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a LWTS and really like it.

The pro's are you get to keep your day scope. All my rifles are set up to accept it. All I have to do is clip it on and I am good to go. On the other hand, with a good quick disconnect scope mount, a thermal/scope combo is easy to switch back and forth.

Con is it much more expensive. In clip on mode there is no redical visible when you record it. I use a ps-32 for scanning and use very little batteries with my LWTS.

JPK

LSB Active Member
I spoke with my bud who favors the Mil Spec gear, he has a new to him OASYS set up and tells me it is better than anything he has tried, inclugpding my Patrol and MK I I and his LWTS. I am looking forward to trying it.

JPK

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I spoke with my bud who favors the Mil Spec gear, he has a new to him OASYS set up and tells me it is better than anything he has tried, inclugpding my Patrol and MK I I and his LWTS. I am looking forward to trying it.

JPK

Yes the OASYS are going to blow commercial stuff out of the water. But so is the price tag along with probably being stolen.

znztivguy

LSB Member

JPK
Do you know which particular model? Would love to hear first hand, how they compare.
Plus, BAE has sold thermals to the public but the catch is that you have to jump through a lot of documentaion and work in some capacity that would actually have legit use for it. Hog hunters that have hog problems with 10,000-15,000 should get in touch with someone there.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am not personally familiar with the QASYS. I am personally familiar with the other models. The model LWTS that is available in the states is not the model being used by our military at this time. The new model is about 2/3 the size and even more clear. L3 is currently under a large contract for that and it is currently illegal to sell and own in the US. I have used it and it is very nice. IR Defense is also currently under a larhe Govt contrant for their product which is clossley described as the IR Reaper only with different guts. The big difference in the mil versions and civ versions is the abaility to take a beating. viewing distance and clarity. The person I work with on this stuff told me recently. Jim, first you cannot afford it if you could buy it and two, you simply do not need it to hunt hogs.

He is right!! The CNVD=T is not strictly a mil/le unit that I know of. Have never seen it used in Afghanistan.

If you are buying a legally purchased NV or thermal in the US the only paper youshould have to go thru is a document that makes you aware of ITAR laws and tells you that it cannot be taken outside the US without proper authority from the DoS.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I like this kind of discussion. I wish there were more information on military thermal units just so we can have something to drool over other than our imagination.

Thanks.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I work for a defense contractor and have used military grade thermal since 07 - 08. Overall, they are built pretty rugged and have to go through a lot of environmental testing to meet specific Military/Gov requirements. The software also has to go through a lot of testing as well to make sure it's almost bullet proof. But of course there may still be issues from time to time.

The units I've looked at and used from time to time runs 12k - 15k. Just too expensive for the average joe but like someone mentioned, it's not really needed for hog hunting. The commercial grade stuff works just fine, heck I'm happy with the XD50A that I have.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

JPK

LSB Active Member
Yes the OASYS are going to blow commercial stuff out of the water. But so is the price tag along with probably being stolen.

No, it was acquired from Triple Canopy when they sold it. Triple Canopy is the successor to Blackwater.

JPK

znztivguy

LSB Member
No, it was acquired from Triple Canopy when they sold it. Triple Canopy is the successor to Blackwater.

JPK
Which model OASYS does he have?

JPK

LSB Active Member
Not sure. Might be getting together with him tomorrow night, if so I'll get a look.

JPK

znztivguy

LSB Member
View attachment 3889
I'm sure you're not taking about this kinda heavy duty military thermal but I work on and use this one. It has a 9 inch lens!
That helicopter thermal is crazy beautiful. That's the reason and difference in the quality of shots we get with handhelds vs. a giant like that. I would recon that the germanium lens would already have an out of this world price tag!