White Oak Creek Suggestions

ErikB

Hey fellas, stumbled upon you guys while researching a hunting trip. We're looking at bringing a group of about 8 of us corrections officers down to do some hog hunting in March. One of the guys has a family connection to a small area near Ore City, so we're thinking of hitting up White Oak Creek in while we're in the area. We had looked at going with an outfitter but guys were leery of adding a couple hundred dollars expense to the trip, we're running kind of tight timeline, tight budget.
We are familiar with the rules of hunting public lands, the APH, etc, but not having hunted there wondering if anyone has tips (they would be willing to share publically anyway) about what types of hunting and location seem to work best there?
Thanks for any help. I've really enjoyed reading whats already posted on the forum!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome!! I think going into a new area, no baiting or scouting you will not have the most successful hunt. Either an outfitter or a friend w land in the area is almost required. I don't know the rules about public land and night hunting/baiting and such, the type of equipment you have or what night vision you are using but I would not have my hopes up of a good hunt

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! Dont have to much experience hunting public land. I'm assuming on public land it will have to be daytime hunting. With no scouting or baiting I would think your best bet would be to walk the thick areas and flush them from the bedding areas. This is hard labor intensive hunting but fun!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Maybe call them out of bedding areas the Glenn Guess way?

ErikB

Yeah, on public land there is no baiting allowed, no vehicles or ATVs, and hunting is only dawn to dusk. Sounds like a lot of tough walking through thick brush. Was hoping you experienced guys had the tips to make my fat guy walking that much shorter or easier. But either way looking at having a blast with some good guys, hopefully kill some big pigs during the day and kill some cold beers at night.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am still thinking about calling them to you in your situation. Check out Glenn Guess and his posts and seminar about it...I am going to start that myself for day time hunting. Good luck.