Which lights do you use for night time hogs?

Avetjx

Good evening,

Just started hunting a new lease here in North FL. Was up in my stand with my son trying to get some pigs. Had my scope attached red light and when the pigs showed up, I started the light high in the sky and the pigs did a disappearing act as soon as I started moving it down. Others came by after a while and same thing happened. Thought it might be time to invest in a feeder light. So, a couple of questions for you.

1. how long does it take for the hogs to become used to the feeder light after installation?
2. Do you recommend a light that stays on from dusk-dawn or a motion sensor light?
3. I have seen the sniper hawg light exterminator feed light, the Elusive Wildlife feedlight, and the Elusive Wildlife motion light. Anybody recommend these or any others you have specifically tried?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Just to give you a sample of what is showing up at the feeder

Attachments

• IMG_0842.JPG
    IMG_0842.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
without night vision I use:
Headlamp
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Lumen-...59185263&tpos=unknow&ttype=price&talgo=origal

KILL LIGHT

http://www.lightmalls.com/uniquefire-hs-802-cree-green-light-long-range-led-flashlight-1-18650

The advantage of the Cree is it is colored, no colored lenses to diffuse the light, so it goes further and is much brighter. The ND3 sub zero is excellent and I loved mine, but I sold it as too difficult to target and way too bright. I have owed alot of different lights and put them side by side. My recommendation is the link I sent for the best performance for hog hunting and the price you cannot beat. It is the same as what elusive wildlife sells for alot more, you can go to their site and read the specs on the X250 and know what you will be getting. In fact before i found the China ones I bought the EW and still use them side by side, 1 red and one green but on the china one I have all the different colored modules I can change out. The throw (distance the light goes) is unique as it does not flood like a regular flashlight because the LED is in a deep reflective bell, but not as tight as you can make the ND3. Hope that helps some, I am somewhat a light geek and buying from China is 7-10X's cheaper than the same thing you can buy in the US for the same thing...I hate it but until US companies are fair on their price I am going to continue buying from them.

Like some say, the number you see printed or promised are NOT accurate as far as light measurements, you have to side by side compare and that is what I have done(I have many wasted purchases laying around or have given away to prove it...lol).

I also know the battery ratings are not accurate either. The standard 18650 battery these take and I use for all my lights is a 2400MaH rating, I use the 3000-5000MaH, not to make brighter but to last longer run times. The MaH # is not correct either so I run them side by side in the same light to determine real run times an have determined no matter what the real MaH is the higher numbers make it worthwhile to buy as they do allow the light to run longer.

For Fixed solar powered motion lights I use at my feeders:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052SF0LO...olid=2BWAGVXTDVLBD&coliid=IE2SQ8KAJKMRZ&psc=1

Avetjx

Frank,

Thanks for all the great info. I forgot to mention that the red light I am using is the exact same as yours except that it is a red cree module instead of the green. I have it attached to my scope and I use a side-mounted pressure on the stock. When researching which color, people seem half and half on red vs green and I chose red. Do you think using green makes a big difference for our FL. hogs? Also, do you recall how long your pigs took to get used to the motion light you recommend? Thanks.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like the green because I see better with it and they sell the green module for $10 that you can change out. The solar lights are out for them to get used to lights coming on all night, after a week or 2 and now 3 years for me they could care less. Now no matter what light I use they are used to a light and stick around a little longer. The larger smart ones still don't like the light but come in eventually, especially the sows.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have never hunted hogs with light until this weekend so I could only speculate. But no I have done it and they do see the light and alert soon as its turned on even 100 yards away with it pointed at the ground or in the air. I can only imagine after they learn gunfire comes after the alert will turn into a full on run. We used green and white lights at different times they spotted the green easily.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I use a 200 lumen green cree LED with adjustable beam on my .270. It is also Chinese and was about $20. It's good to 100 yds. Turn it on pointing at sky and lower it slowly. This setup will not spook the hogs
I adjust the beam as needed to provide just enough light to see the hogs, not "light them up".
I have seen gun mounted lights spook hogs as a result of the light itself being way too bright or the beam being adjusted to a much too concentrated beam. As far as the ND-x laser lights go, I would only use them for spotting varmints as they will easily spook a hog. The laser light is simply too intense for them. My feeder light is a 60 LED solar powered security light with motion sensor from Harbor Freight $22. I covered the lens with clear green plastic. The light comes on at half power at dusk and stays at half power until the motion is detected, then brightens to full for 30 secs, then back to half again until triggered again. The hogs never seem to notice it even when it is first set up at the feeder.

-John

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love my hogzilla green light. Has a great focused beam on it

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We use Triple C feeder mechanisms & lights. This gives us a two button remote, one for feeder mechanism, one for the hog lights. I've only used the lights a couple times but when I have they never scared the pigs away. They just seemed indifferent to the light, which is dim anyways. I did have trouble using the lights and seeing crossairs on top of a dark body, but since using a Trijicon scope this is a non-issue.

I've heard great things about Elusive Wildlife products too

DevilDoc

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love their products, not to mention they are only a few miles from the house. I use the Kill Light package that is everything you need. It comes with light, three different switch set ups, three different LEDs a green a red and a white, three different mounting options, batteries and recharger for $150. I have it setting on my scope, light weight and out of the way and illuminates well over 100 yards with the green.image.jpg