Which electronic powder measure

SteveR

LSB Member
I'm considering getting myself an electronic powder measure / scale for Christmas and looking for advice. I know a few folks who have the RCBS unit and it seems pretty nice but recently I came across one by Hornady for a pretty good price. Do any of you hog slayers have experience with either or both? I've had good luck with equipment by both companies but I'm totally unfamiliar with the electronic scales. Thanks in advance.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've got a Hornady electronic powder measured. I primarily reload for 7.62 using IMR4064 and load 42.5g.

I set the scale on 41.0g and trickle up to 42.5g.
I've not been able to consistently been able to get the unit to dispense 42.5g of powder yet. It is probably operator error, but I've not been too impressed with its performance so far.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I don't own an electronic scale anymore. I had a rcbs one and it had thermal drift. It would change as the temperature went up and down. Plus when ever the heater or AC came on the different pressure in my reloading room would change what the scale showed. I'd have to keep recalibrating the scale. I have friends that have the higher end rcbs and hornady self-dispensing scales with similar although smaller weighing issues. You'll just have to be aware that these may happen and compensate for them.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have the RCBC and have been happy with it. You have to be aware that there are issues with the scale if you have fluorescent lights. They will throw the scale out of calibration. I have used it for pistol and rifle loads and it seems to be very consistent.

D

djones

i use rcbs and added most of the internet mods...

filters on the power cord
sometimes use straw in dispenser tube depending on powder (not needed for aa2200)
reset the slow and trickle rates
allow for warm up before using
always calibrate before each use

seems like a lot of nitpicking, but i'm a precision shooter, not some dork who thinks 'minute of dirt clod' is good enough.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I give my electronic stuff away and bought a Quick Measure. Not electronic but I don't need a trickler either.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I tried Hornady. But I'm to anal and just went back to standard RCBS...