Which 6.8 factory round for hunting

JPK

LSB Active Member
6.8 ammo is definitely more expensive than 5.56/223 ammo. Looking for and waiting for a good sale and then buying plenty helps some. Having a 5.56 upper for the same lower helps keep practice and plinking costs down too, one reason I went with a standard AR15 set up rather than the LWRC dedicated 6.8 set up.

If you already have a 5.56/223 AR then a 6.8 upper and a few magazines sets you up. (Since you may not know, I'll mention that the 6.8 required a different bolt than the 5.56/223. Same BC just a different bolt. And along those lines I will mention that the Magpul 6.8 magazines work ONLY in LWRC lowers. I use ASC 6.8 magazines and have had no issues with the six I own.)

JPK

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm considering on joining the 6.8 club. Seems like most LEO's I've asked, say the rounds are too expensive. Not into reloading yet, but plan to be in the near future.
They are used to buying 5.56 as I was. 6.8 is actually cheaper than most center fire rifle ammo out there. I have found them for 15 a box

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm considering on joining the 6.8 club. Seems like most LEO's I've asked, say the rounds are too expensive. Not into reloading yet, but plan to be in the near future.

Too expensive compared to cheap 556 or 7.62 x 39 steel cased russian ammo sure, but line it up against any hunting .243 .308 or 30-06 quality hunting round and Hornady 120 ssts are well priced for the quality of the ammo.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you can get 90 grain gold dot ammo for about $.50- $.60 per round.
If your concern is cheap ammo, and youre hunting shorter ranges, say 90% of your shots, less than 150 yds, a 7.62x39 upper may fit the bill? Ive got a 16 inch PSA 7.62x39 upper that was pretty cheap and its been 100% reliable and might be my most accurate upper at 100 yds.
I still say go 6.8 for your primary hunting rig though.. I'd rather pay a quarter extra per round to have a 250-300 yard gun that still hits pretty hard.