Which 6.8 factory round for hunting

ET8300

I have a LWRC A5 on the way. Have not got into reloading yet but do have a buddy who will start shortly. For the time being which factory round is everyone using for deer and pigs? This will be used on an A5 with a surefire suppressor.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I used Hornady Factory Custom 6.8 SPC rounds(120 gr SST) before I switched to reloading my own with the same Hornady 120 gr SST bullets. While I have not shot a deer with them it works great on pigs and coyotes.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I used Hornady Factory Custom 6.8 SPC rounds(120 gr SST) before I switched to reloading my own with the same Hornady 120 gr SST bullets. WHile I have shot a deer with them it works great on pigs and coyotes.

Yep the 120 sst is the favorite around here.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those 120 SST are crazy accurate out of my 6.8 also for an added bonus.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those 120 SST are crazy accurate out of my 6.8 also for an added bonus.
i always get that warm fuzzy feeling when my rifle likes my favorite hunting ammo.

oh ya.. 120 sst. i believe people also make arguments for the 110 accubonds, 85 and 110 tsx, and 95 ttsx

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I prefer the barnes 110TSX, guess you have to get them from nosler now, mine are SSA

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
120 SST or 110 accubonds for me

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
120 sst for hogs and 110 tsx for deer. The Hornady 120's do a little too much damage to deer for my liking.

dman62

LSB Member
I'll echo the 120 Hornady praise and Chopperdrvr's comments about their desructiveness. Keep them away from the tasty bits of your critters.

ET8300

Thanks to everyone who replied. I will give the 120 SSTs a try for now and see how the rifle likes them. Thank you for all the input.

JPK

LSB Active Member
My 16" 6.8 doesn't like the SST's but it loves the 110gr TSX's. My 11.5" loves both, but I haven't had the opportunity to shoot hogs with the SST's.

The 110 TSX's work great on hogs but do not work well on coyotes, foxes or any other smaller critters.

JPK

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
123grSSTs,, oh for the 6.8SPC why the 120gr SSTs I do not think they make anything else??:) BANG BANG!!!!

miket

Plantersville, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I used Hornady Factory Custom 6.8 SPC rounds(120 gr SST) before I switched to reloading my own with the same Hornady 120 gr SST bullets. While I have not shot a deer with them it works great on pigs and coyotes.

Yes sir, but my rifles shoot it so well I just cant justify reloading for it.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I just don't find any reason to shoot a Barnes bullet in the 6.8. The others are cheaper and work better at the velocities the 6.8 produces. IMO

JPK

LSB Active Member
I just don't find any reason to shoot a Barnes bullet in the 6.8. The others are cheaper and work better at the velocities the 6.8 produces. IMO

You know, my 16" 6.8 upper just doesn't shoot the SSTs well, so I use the 110gr TSX's with that upper. Performance could not be better on hogs, and I've dropped a couple mid stride with a Texas heart shot at 80-90 yards as the sounder depart.

I know from the bullet threads on 6.8forum that some 6.8 TSX weights don't perform that well, but the 110s work great. (On hogs. They suck on coyote or fox.)

JPK

mc68

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great luck with both the 120 SST and the Federal 115 Fusion MSR.

Pork Popper

LSB Member
I'm considering on joining the 6.8 club. Seems like most LEO's I've asked, say the rounds are too expensive. Not into reloading yet, but plan to be in the near future.