Where to Hunt?

Smitty

Howdy all...new member on the site and looking to get into the sport. Follower on Facebook and joined the forum thinking there would be information, preferably a section, on properties to hunt as well as guides. Don't see much or I'm just looking in the wrong place. What are the best resources for this information besides word of mouth. Incidentally, I'm in DFW area. Thanks in advance.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the fray... sorry, I'm not the one to ask on this (just a tad far removed from the action).

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! Ignore a guy named DJ on this site. He is angry that the judge did not count his hog hunting hours towards his community service requirements.

Last edited:

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad you found us!

The vast majority if Texas is privately owned, so locating property to hunt for free is usually a lot harder than finding hogs once you're on it.

As for paid hunts, just do a Google search for central Texas hog hunting and it will be months before you stop getting ads on every screen you open.

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome.
As you see you will get few responses on actual places to hunt because that is the first thing everyone asks and really the toughest part of hog hunting. When we find a place, by word of mouth, friend, family, friend of family, local rancher/farmer etc... those places become coveted and many landowners won't allow anyone else on. They can be protective of their properties and their livestock. Many people decide a lease with others is a good place to start also. I got started google mapping creeks and rivers and went door to door, knocking and offering to trap for free which also allowed me hunting privileges on some of those properties over time when trust was built. Do your due diligence in anything you do and you will find something you may like. Asking that question is the first step!

chthump

LSB Member
Welcome.
As you see you will get few responses on actual places to hunt because that is the first thing everyone asks and really the toughest part of hog hunting. When we find a place, by word of mouth, friend, family, friend of family, local rancher/farmer etc... those places become coveted and many landowners won't allow anyone else on. They can be protective of their properties and their livestock. Many people decide a lease with others is a good place to start also. I got started google mapping creeks and rivers and went door to door, knocking and offering to trap for free which also allowed me hunting privileges on some of those properties over time when trust was built. Do your due diligence in anything you do and you will find something you may like. Asking that question is the first step!
Good answer, my experience has been, if you let one person hunt on your property, next trip, they bring a friend, fast forward 3 months, you pick up beer cans, close gates that were left open, so most landowners in my area aren't open to strangers.

jglass

LSB Member
Howdy all...new member on the site and looking to get into the sport. Follower on Facebook and joined the forum thinking there would be information, preferably a section, on properties to hunt as well as guides. Don't see much or I'm just looking in the wrong place. What are the best resources for this information besides word of mouth. Incidentally, I'm in DFW area. Thanks in advance.

It took time and effort but I found private property to hunt on and here is how I did it. Go to the county web site then go to the county tax assessor page. I found a county map that I could expand larger and larger until lots and boundary lines were visible. I was then able to select a piece of property and find out who owned the property. A little further snooping I found the address of the property owners. With the address information I sent the owners letters requesting their permission to hog hunt on their property. In the letters I included back ground information about myself. Include any information that gives you credibility like I'm an Eagle Boy scout. I also included pictures of hogs on or near their property. I encouraged them to call me and I included my email address and a self addressed stamped envelop so they could respond 3 different ways. I mailed out 15 or 20 letters to property owners and 3 of them granted me permission to hunt their property, one of them had 140 acres (Bingo). A few property owners called me on the phone. I actually became friends with one property owner even though he never did give me permission to hunt his property. We meet once a week for a couple of beers. It pays to get to know the locals.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
welcome aboard