When God gives you nothing but rain and you cannot hunt

chthump

LSB Member
Man, I'm from Texas, glad you gave me some names. They were definitely sockeye salmon. No Kings or Slivers. I'd never recalled sockeye. They were all clones. Meaning, the sockeye were all the same size, color, everything. I remember the wasabi was a tad on the hot side, but washes good with Coors Lite.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sockeye (Reds) are of the smallest of the species (3-6 lbs.), but some of the finest eating. I've seen them running in the Russian River (Kenai peninsula, AK) as a thick/heavy black ribbon in the water. The Russian isn't "clear" water, it's a light mint green, somewhat opaque, due to the silt. Thousands upon thousands of them schooled up and heading up, looked like a black ribbon waving in the water.

chthump

LSB Member
Damn, you mean Cooper's Landing. Yep, been there, done that.

Also, back to catfish, after there fillet, I cut the tail (thin red meat off the back near tail), then trim the center red strip that runs along the center. If its blues from Oklahoma, I don't think thats necessary, but from my stock ponds, they need all the trimming they can get.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The center red strip you mention... is that the mud line I've heard about?

chthump

LSB Member
Yep, probably so, never heard it called a mud line, but thats exactly what it taste like if its from a mud stock pond, same strip on a Hybrid bass or striper, trim the red out. In catfish, I'd say "mud line" is the perfect description.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok, makes sense. I think the same would be true for sea bass. I recall seeing red in spots (similar), never new to trim it away, assumed it was just a little blood in the tissue. Never cared for the taste, very strong "fish flavor", even when fresh caught. I'll remember that, thanks.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow, talk about Food and Fish and RD wakes up! Sounds like you could even make Grayling taste good. Yuck. LOL

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
image.jpg Here is my favorite these days. Blackened on a cast iron griddle on my grill with dirty rice and a little lemon.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Same w king and spanish mackerel out of salt water...cut the bloodline out.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Talking about rain. Can't believe it is dumping buckets again. Wow!

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Copper River salmon is wonderful stuff !! Which species were you eating then? Sushi (done RIGHT) is delicious !! FRESH is key. The first of the season is just hitting the stores... really good, but very spendy these days !!!

My favorites are King, Sockeye, Silver (in that order). The King has a very high fat content, the Sockeye (Reds) are bright red in color, and more lean. Silvers (Coho) are almost as fatty as Kings (Chinook).
Yeah, I used to eat me some salmon. Not the junk most stores sale (the ones that say "color added") but the stuff I could get fresh in Alaska or Washington State. Great stuff.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I buy salmon on line from ColdPoint Seafood once in awhile. Never have received a bad fish and they are all wild caught. He is or was since they got canceled on the Salmon Wars TV show. FISH FISH!!