When God gives you nothing but rain and you cannot hunt

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sweet. Looks like a Nice Blue. Good Job.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"Bait". LOL
Way to adapt and improvise. Ma-nature definitely rules and changes life.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL... I was joking that that's all it's good for. Ain't fit to EAT.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a nice catfish. I'm not a huge fan of eating them but much better than those Alaskan Greyling. Yuck! LOL

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Little Tony Cachere and put on the grill. Pretty tasty

chthump

LSB Member
Funny, I cooked catfish for supper. I've eaten some blue cats caught out of a rock bottom lake in Oklahoma, tasted better than crappie. I love channel cat, but those Oklahoma blues made the channel cats seem like 2nd's. Nice catch.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a nice catfish. I'm not a huge fan of eating them but much better than those Alaskan Greyling. Yuck! LOL
What'choo talkin' 'bout Willis ?!??! Get the coals hot, fresh from the stream, gut 'em, gill 'em, a pat of butter inside, a little onion, a squeeze of lemon, season with salt/pepper... and wrap 'em in foil. Bake 'em over the coals for five minutes on each side. Open the foil, finish the gut-cut to the tail, match the cut along the spine... and lift the skeleton off the flesh, place the other side down and lift the skeleton off that side. Some new potatoes and some fresh corn on the cob? We got ZEST baby !!! Grayling have a slight coarser texture to the meat than Rainbows.... but they sure eat nice. That's how I cook trout, White Fish, Arctic Char too. TOO good !!

All kidding aside, on only a couple of rare occasions have I eaten catfish that didn't taste like mud. I'm told that they have a "mud line" down the center of each fillet, if that's carefully carved out without tearing it and allowing it to get on the meat, then that taste isn't present. Haven't tried that, never caught a catfish. I'm kind of spoiled with cold water ocean fish around here.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
Funny, I cooked catfish for supper. I've eaten some blue cats caught out of a rock bottom lake in Oklahoma, tasted better than crappie. I love channel cat, but those Oklahoma blues made the channel cats seem like 2nd's. Nice catch.

Where at in Oklahoma ? I was raised in Wright City, OK.

I'm cooking speckled trout tomorrow for dinner.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm working on a big batch of chicken I cooked up the other night. Have a recipe that's pretty darned close to Dillo Dust that I season it with, then into the smoker for a few hours to absorb that Mesquite flavor, then baked in my Weber grill (indirect heat, coals to the side) to 165F. Baked up some Yukon Gold taters to go with som'a 'dat tonight. Butter, cheese, sour cream on the spuds... and let it drip onto my freshly washed Lonestar Boars T-shirt too. Dagnabit.

chthump

LSB Member
Some friends of mine caught some a couple years ago, I think it was either Hugo Lake and Sardis, they occassionally go to Eufalua, I've never been on the lakes, but I was bragging about how good the catfish tasted and they said, "You're use to catfish out of a Northeast Texas mud lakes, these were rock bottom, caught in Oklahoma". Rattlesnake Dan, mentioned greyling, had another friend totally ruin Salmon for me, he had a fish wheel permit on the Copper River in AK, and he filleted a fresh salmon, stuck it in my face and said smell this, zero, nothing, extremely clean, no fishy smell.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Take your fresh salmon fillet, season it with garlic salt, some fresh ground black pepper, and bake it (skin side down) on the grill, indirect heat again... oil the grate so the skin doesn't stick. Just don't over cook it. Steam some fresh asparagus and some steamed rice to go with it. Biggest mistake many people make is... over cooking their fish. If it's still slightly translucent in the middle, pull it. By the time you sit down to eat, it'll have finished cooking and be just right.

chthump

LSB Member
Yep, I've done something similar with rainbow trout. Been 12 years since I've been to AK, but most of the salmon I brought back was smoked on the grill, skin side down and lemon peppered/ garlic/butter. Now the halibut was beer batter, deep fried.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOVE me some halibut !!! Lemon pepper, salt, grilled, then a little butter on it. (Wet spot material right there). Somewhere I have a recipe for "Poor Man's Lobster". Drop your chunks of halibut into boiling sugar water... when it floats to the top... done. Don't recall if there's anything else you do with it. The sugar water sweetens it to resemble lobster. Dip in melted butter and devour.

Also, take your salmon/halibut (sliced somewhat thin) and marinate it in brown sugar (I forget what else) and then into the smoker with alder wood. Candy !!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dillo Dust and Lawrys are close cousins.

Really? Haven't had Lawry's in years. I made up a BUNCH of rub at Christmas this year and gave that as gifts. I burn through a lot of it when doing ribs, chicken, burgers, steaks, roasts. It's pretty close to Dillo Dust. I'll have to eyeball the Lawry's a little closer and check that out, thanks.

chthump

LSB Member
One more thing, the fish wheel salmon, we had fresh raw salmon with wasabi sauce with a couple of beers, never thought I'd be eating raw fish. I'm kinda like Terry Bradshaw " back home we call that bait".

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Copper River salmon is wonderful stuff !! Which species were you eating then? Sushi (done RIGHT) is delicious !! FRESH is key. The first of the season is just hitting the stores... really good, but very spendy these days !!!

My favorites are King, Sockeye, Silver (in that order). The King has a very high fat content, the Sockeye (Reds) are bright red in color, and more lean. Silvers (Coho) are almost as fatty as Kings (Chinook).