What to do with the meat?

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just curious what most folks do with the approximate 4482 hogs slayed this year? Do you butcher them and share the meat with friends and family, leave the carcasses for the coyotes, or discard them in another manner? I ask this because my wife is not a fan of wild game, so she won't eat or try any of the meat I bring in from hunting.

Would hogs be okay to donate to homeless shelters or to the needy or are there too many diseases and issues with hogs to do so safely?

SheepdogM59

Pride, Integrity, Guts
We dumb most of ours on the side of the fields. We are more about eradication but we do take meat and give it away to people we know every once in a while.

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It helps bring yotes in, the gift that keeps giving

So from nuisance to bait for other nuisance to be eradicated. Sounds like a plan.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I take meat when in the mood. With the cooler weather I will take more and crock pot some for pulled pork etc...
My wife wants me to bring home more of it but it's not always practical or I am too busy to bother or .....

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
514267735-jpg.4983

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I ask this because my wife is not a fan of wild game, so she won't eat or try any of the meat I bring in from hunting.
This mentality drives me crazy lol! It's so completely bass ackwards! No offense I'm sure your wife is a lovely person.

Btw for me it depends how much room I have in my freezer. I've spent the time and energy to take the meat out for friends, keep it on ice in a cooler for days for them not to come get it. But basically I keep my freezer full and discard the rest unless I know for sure someone else wants it and will take it.

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This mentality drives me crazy lol! It's so completely bass ackwards! No offense I'm sure your wife is a lovely person.

No offense taken, I hear it quiet often from fellow hunters. The real funny thing is she was raised on a farm and watcher her Dad, Uncle and Grandfather slaughter hogs for BBQs and such. I will just sneak her some like I did deer and see if she can tell the difference.

My church Pastor is curious if we could process it ourselves or cheaply with a local vendor and donate it to those in need. What do ya'll think about that? I hear the FDA won't recognize wild pigs as separate from farm raised hogs so there for they have to go through some inspections before it could be sent to a food bank or something like that where you don't have to with deer.

If deemed safe, I would hate to feed the buzzards when I could feed a family in need, but as I have said before I have not had much experience with wild hogs and therefore unsure if this is a smart thing to do.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just kill em' and grill em' when you feel like it. After you kill a thousand of them the value goes down a bit. lol

Navygator

LSB Active Member
We really don't eat meat anymore (if my family did eat meat, it would be something I killed or caught).
Sometimes I will pull the backstraps for friends, on rare occasion I will get a order for a smaller hog from a neighbor and I will gladly provide.
Most are donated to the buzzards.

chthump

LSB Member
Walmart hams are my choice. MAF (Mexican Air Force) per Taco, gets the ones messing up the hayfields.

By the way, we really need some MAF tee shirts.

jglass

LSB Member
The RV resort we stay at has a hog roaster. So my killed hogs wind up being a campground hog roast. People claim the wild hog tastes better than store bought pork. Although the last hog had no fat, was dry, tough and had a wild taste. I think it was an old boar. I didn't care for it but some people thought it was great. I visited a redneck bar one night after a hog hunt.
Those people said they would take my killed hogs, "That's free meat, can't pass that up"