What Snake Boots do you wear and why?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just went to Bass Pro and got the Rocky 7550's, laces and zipper 16" Snake Boots. Am wearing around the house and yard breaking them in, so far very comfortable and light. I had to replace the Slip on style redhead's that were not so comfortable and real heavy. Hated to pay $160 but cheaper than treatment for a snake bite.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well 80% of all snake bites are below the knee, in my area we have water mocs, pygmy rattlers, copper heads and Eastern Diamondbacks, foolish to risk a bite...I would love chaps but did not want to pay for the Turtle Skin full protection at $250 a pr.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was thinking you should! lol

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The wife thinks if I got snake bit; the snake would just crawl off and die. I think she loves me.

Im so turning this into a bumper sticker!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
lol that is too funny

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Out here I don't wear snake boots, and not very many do. They tend to be too heavy and hot, and since we have Western Dimondbacks and a very few sidewinders, they will buzz at you 99% of the time long before striking you. I do wear steel towed boots most of the time though, seeing how Im a mechanic and all, its usually what are on my feet after working all day. So I just wear them out on the ranch when I go to feed cows instead of carrying 2 pairs of boots with me.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have a pair of Pennicle from Cabela's. They are the front zip type. Completely water proof and super comfortable. The other ones I have are the Rocky brand. They are strictly the lace up type. Both pair are 16" high.

A few years ago I was struck just above the ankle,while deep in the river swamp. I had on my 7 year old Rocky boots. It was a huge cottonmouth that struck with such power the force almost knocked my leg out from under me. The date was Dec.8th and the temp had warmed up to the low 70's. I was not injured,however I was so far away from the boat,and then the boat dock,I would have surely died if I had been envenomated.

I always check the small patches of sun after a somewhat cold night. Even during the winter months here in Fla. ....they WILL come out if the temp rises and it is sunny.

For you guys that hunt at night,like I do,please remember this is the snakes favorite time to hunt. They will be out and about even more than the daytime. Also remember that for those of you that are usually in the open ...... you just might have to go into the pucker brush to track a wounded hog,or retrieve a dead one.

"Lets all stay safe out there". ---- pruhdlr

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've had Chippewas, Rockys, and now 2 different pairs of Justins. Of all of them, the Rockys were the most comfortable and the Chippewas were the least comfortable. The Rockys were unfortunately also the hottest boots and the shortest lived as their sole is glued on while the other three are stitched on. The Justins lasted me the longest at 6 years and the second pair of Justins I just bought a week ago. The second pair of Justins are quickly becoming my favorite as they have a zippered side and their wide square toe (that I started out not liking, but now love) gives me more room in the toe area and fits my foot better than the others did.

In all, I have been struck 3 times, once on each pair of snake boots I have owned, not including the brand new ones. I have never been envenomated nor have I had the fangs pierce through the snake proof lining. Thank God they all worked as advertised. All strikes were from rattlers with 1 of them happening in South Texas, another in the Davis Mountains, and one happening in West Texas near Dryden.

FYI all my snake boots have been $160 plus regardless of where I get them.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mr. Garza, I feel most people do not know their pain and expense of a snake bite and go to the woods on a wing and a prayer. After hunting these things for fun and contests and able to watch behavior, I can tell you it is unlikely to get bit...BUT and and BIG BUT, is IF you are if is not an experience you will ever forget!

I will check out the Justin's, not being in a Western area and no boot shops here, I had forgotten about them. In TX I always just wore my elephant hide boots and felt I was good to go.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have three different friends that have been snake bit. One lost two toes on his right foot. One loast about 1/4 of the flesh on his left calf. The other had to quit scuba,flying,and most other activities that he enjoyed because of the long term/lasting effects of the venom from a Boomslang. He was bitten on the rear of the upper arm almost 45 years ago and he still does not have full use of his arm or hand. The bite also gave him some long lasting heart problems.

I wear snake boots for the same reason that I carry a spare tire and have auto insurance. What are your chances of being struck by a poisonous species of snake ?? Don't know...but I was...and I never won the lottery or got struck by lightning either. --- pruhdlr

Last edited:

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Mr. Garza, I feel most people do not know their pain and expense of a snake bite and go to the woods on a wing and a prayer. After hunting these things for fun and contests and able to watch behavior, I can tell you it is unlikely to get bit...BUT and and BIG BUT, is IF you are if is not an experience you will ever forget!

I will check out the Justin's, not being in a Western area and no boot shops here, I had forgotten about them. In TX I always just wore my elephant hide boots and felt I was good to go.

Frank-

You are right that the chances of getting bit are very low. My unlucky encounters were mainly due to my lack of attention to where a snake could possibly be. My profession also requires me to be in the field a large part of the day, and in most cases paying attention to something other than the ground directly in front of me. All 3 strikes happened because I stepped within a couple of inches of the snake and I don't really think the snake knew I was coming, or expected me to get that close as I was going directly through some dense brush in two of the occasions and sifting through dense leaf litter on the other. I have had plenty of experiences when I have seen rattlers that were various sizes and either had them warn me with a rattle, or rattle while fleeing from me. I really do think that if the snake had been given the chance to flee, all three strikes I experienced would have been avoided.

pruhdlr- I too have had a few friends that were snake bit. Some that have been envenomated and some that have not. Either way, they were all given antivenom and I have heard from them that sometimes just the antivenom can be as painful as being envenomated. Some of my friends have been able to be out of the hospital within a few weeks, while others were stuck in a wheelchair for months.

It is because of this, and the fact that I am constantly in the field on a countless number of ranches for work. The only time that I do not wear them is when I am working on a prescribed fire or wildfire.

coondog

LSB Member
I need to get me some kind of snake protection for my legs. I have been so lucky not getting bit so far. I fear one day or night it's gonna happen. About a year ago or so there was this guy running a weed eater at his house out by Hempstead TX. He was bit by a copperhead on the leg. He died before he could to the Doctor. The venom was injected into a vein and it went to his heart and caused a heart attack.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man... homie don't like no-legged lizards !!! Especially those with no-go-juice fortification !!! With only non-venom ones on the west side of the Cascade Mountains... I've never had to deal with them buzz-bombs. Dated a gal from Eastern WA for a few years... she said they had rattlers on the property, never did see any. As far as I know, none of the horses ever got struck either.

coondog

LSB Member
RD some times our coon dogs get hit. Dogs have a way of neutralizing venom. They swell up at the bite and a few days later are good to go. Wish we humans could do that without a doctor.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
RD some times our coon dogs get hit. Dogs have a way of neutralizing venom. They swell up at the bite and a few days later are good to go. Wish we humans could do that without a doctor.

Yeah... tell me again how it all came to being from a blob of ooze and an explosion. That's like claiming Super Cars have no designer/builder. And, when they're damaged, don't heal themselves.