What makes one game camera better than another?

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lookin to get a few game cameras. We've got a coupla of cheapies momma picked up here and there when the mood hit her. We wanna get something a bit more substantial. These do "ok", but the detection range and clarity seem to be lacking. There's grand plans to get some cell cams later on, but for right now we'd like something that's a decent performer we could afford a few of. I'm really not sure what features make a real difference and which are more-or-less gimmicks. We were in Bass Pro this weekend and prices seem to vary pretty wildly.
Where's the meaty part of the value curve with these gadgets? Thanks.. :cool: d:^) Jake..

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ask 10 people get 10 different recommendations I think. I have had a pile of them.
I like my Moultrie's the best. The ones that take AA batts seem to work longer than the ones that take C batts. Go figure.
I have a Panoramic and it is cool for the right situation but the photos are skinny and wide and I rarely attach one here because you need to expand them to see anything.
Just threw away a 250.00 Cuddieback, thing was trouble from day 1 and finally just flipped out after a couple years.
I'm sure there are other guys here that have better info than that but that is my basic thought process...Moultries, often the smaller ones seem better.
They are all made in China I assume.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Im with Dan, I've had 2 Moultrie's. They are easy to setup, and produce good pictures. Year before last I picked up a Browning on sale after deer season and have had good results. I purchased and threw away a cheap Primos that was more headache then it was worth.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree with RattlesnakeDan - avoid the panoramic trail cams. The images can be a pain in the butt to modify.

I've had good luck with the Cuddyback Attack trail cams. Cuddyback makes mounts that can be stuck in the ground anywhere. I've been able to retrieve card with over 6k images off of a single set of 8 AA batteries.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Moultrie 800 series are wide angle and good to go. I buy them from walmart and take them back with no questions asked, you cannot do that with any camera company..just keep the box and receipt, remember online walmart has more choices

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The one I have at the bottom of our property is a Moultrie D-5 according to the sticker inside it. I watched 2 deer in the corn pile last night with the thermal, but no deer pic on the camera today. I did get one each pics of a coon butt and my butt. I realigned the camera higher to see if it was something that simple. I'll check it again tomorrow.
It's always been kinda lame at night. Seems unless something is right in front of it ya don't get a pic. I dunno how old this one is, a coupla years I'd guess.
Are the newer ones better that way? I saw something about a Gen 2 for the A-5's. :cool: d:^) Jake..

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The A5 sucks, I have several

Moultrie 800-880 same camera day and night
PICT0216.JPG PICT0147.JPG

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had a black Moultrie that only took pictures of shadows and weeds, I do think it also was an A5.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have had good Moultrie models and bad Moultrie models. In fact, I think that goes for every brand. You cannot go by brand name and expect that just because you think the brand is good that a particular model will be good.

shooter has purchased some of the expensive Browning game cameras and unfortunately has returned either 2 or 3 for warranty replacement. They have taken good care of him, but they should not fail so quickly.

As for critters not showing up on the camera, that does not mean the camera is necessarily bad. If an animal moves slow enough, it won't trigger the sensor. Sensor sensitivity can be a blessing and a curse. Too sensitive and every leaf that floats buy will trigger an image that will show nothing but your scenery. Not sensitive enough and you miss things.

Prices often vary based on brand name and features, though features can vary widely. You probably don't need a 12 megapixel game camera to identify deer and hogs. You just don't. I would not suggest going below 4 megapixels, however.

Flash distance is important, but blackout flash probably isn't unless you are moving the camera on a really regular basis. If you are just watching a feeder, the red glow of the IR isn't going to bother the critters, certainly not after a few days. Don't pay the extra for blackout if you don't need it.

After that, the features are largely what you like and don't like and you decide from there.

Trailcampro.com provides some good reviews and gets into actual trigger times and such.

Me? I tend to buy cheap. If something cheap works well for several months, I will buy 2 or 3 more units to use. Right now my current favorite is Stealth Cam STC-P12 6.0 Megapixel Digital Scouting Camera, Tree Bark

I also have some old Moultrie D-55s that run on C batteries that have just been tanks. The A-5s, like Frank said, suck.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just reset my game cams. Checked to see what they are. My small one that I like best is a Moultrie M880. The bigger slug is a Moultrie D444 and it takes C batteries. Even when batteries are new it shows like 58% batt life, kind of annoying. It misses a lot of pictures. Last night a small leg trapped got set off with no pics. Other one is a panoramic behemoth.

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks much for the input, fellas. Interesting stuff. One thing that was hard to believe was that the Moultrie I have running currently in the back 40 had the C batteries in it I had forgotten to remove before the move. They still worked almost a year later and are running it now. Pretty impressive even if the pic quality sux. I'll look into some of the mentioned options. :cool: d:^) Jake..

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Buy at the start of the year at Walmart, return as not working before a year and get new ones every year! Thata way you can try several, heck trade in every 6 mos if they are not what you want

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Buy at the start of the year at Walmart, return as not working before a year and get new ones every year! Thata way you can try several, heck trade in every 6 mos if they are not what you want
That ain't right Frank

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There is always something wrong with game cams in the wild

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have had good Moultrie models and bad Moultrie models. In fact, I think that goes for every brand. You cannot go by brand name and expect that just because you think the brand is good that a particular model will be good.

shooter has purchased some of the expensive Browning game cameras and unfortunately has returned either 2 or 3 for warranty replacement. They have taken good care of him, but they should not fail so quickly.

As for critters not showing up on the camera, that does not mean the camera is necessarily bad. If an animal moves slow enough, it won't trigger the sensor. Sensor sensitivity can be a blessing and a curse. Too sensitive and every leaf that floats buy will trigger an image that will show nothing but your scenery. Not sensitive enough and you miss things.

Prices often vary based on brand name and features, though features can vary widely. You probably don't need a 12 megapixel game camera to identify deer and hogs. You just don't. I would not suggest going below 4 megapixels, however.

Flash distance is important, but blackout flash probably isn't unless you are moving the camera on a really regular basis. If you are just watching a feeder, the red glow of the IR isn't going to bother the critters, certainly not after a few days. Don't pay the extra for blackout if you don't need it.

After that, the features are largely what you like and don't like and you decide from there.

Trailcampro.com provides some good reviews and gets into actual trigger times and such.

Me? I tend to buy cheap. If something cheap works well for several months, I will buy 2 or 3 more units to use. Right now my current favorite is Stealth Cam STC-P12 6.0 Megapixel Digital Scouting Camera, Tree Bark

I also have some old Moultrie D-55s that run on C batteries that have just been tanks. The A-5s, like Frank said, suck.
Agreed on the "over pixellation". Hehehe. I wanna ID the deer, not the ticks on it's butt. And don't see a lot of use for anything over 5-7MP. Based on experience with the current units on hand I'd hafta say flash range is pretty important. I've gotten a whole buncha pics of shining eyeballs and a blur not very far from the camera.
On sensitivity, also agreed that too sensitive to motion can be a pain. Not sure where the happy medium is or if some of these may have a sensitivity adjustment?
Thanks for the continued input, fellas. :cool: d:^) Jake..

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
But one thing is for sure...
I can honestly & whole heartedly tell you that owning a Moultrie A-20 with field modem and solar panel power source absolutely sux rocks while yer sittin 3 hours away awaiting the in-law type parental unit visit. :mad:
20161205233111-11035-100MFCAM_MFDC0272_zpspouxkmwu.jpg

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
HA HA....

jglass

LSB Member
I have used a Moultrie 880 for 2 years now and love it. My Brother-in-law loaned me a cheaper model Moultrie that took great pictures during the day but poor grainy pictures at night. I read some customer reviews and other people felt the same way I did so I purchased the Moultrie 880 and returned the older camera to my brother-in-law. I would like to buy a couple more cameras.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
But one thing is for sure...
I can honestly & whole heartedly tell you that owning a Moultrie A-20 with field modem and solar panel power source absolutely sux rocks while yer sittin 3 hours away awaiting the in-law type parental unit visit. :mad:

Sounds like a job for ChopperDave, He can get ya there in 30 min!