What is your method fo hog hunting

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What I’ve learned about hunting hogs and pretty much anything else over the years, is that nothing works 100% of the time.

Personally I rarely hunt bait, I’m not a patient person. I can force myself to hunt wallows/water during extreme heat with my easy chair and lots of cool water to drink.

What I generally recommend to beginners with very little hunting experience. Learn as you go and acquire the necessary skill to hunt the way you want to.
1. Hunt feeders or bait
2. Hunt wallows
3. Hunt with a guide
4. Hunt at night with Night vision or thermal. This method takes Skill as well, but even an inexperienced hunter will stumble onto a hog from time to time. I started in the days when we used a spot light. Knowing where to look at night is the key and will come with time.

That being said here are my methods on new properties and old. Repeat all the steps mentioned so long as they are productive. Some of my properties I’ve hunted for 20+years. All of the methods mentioned continue to be productive do to the nomadic nature of hogs.

1. scout both on foot and with aerial photos. Make mental notes of: Local crops, bedding areas, thickets, crossings/trails, rooting activity, wallows and rubs.
2. Kill all hogs I can find in open areas while scouting {spot and stalk}
3. Locate bedding areas and sanctuaries if they exist on property.
4. Call bedding areas and sanctuaries with hog sounds. Try to pull them out either with electronic calls or grunt tubes. I usually start with grunt tubes.
5. Push bedding areas with more than one hunter.{this can be dangerous, Know the person you are hunting with}.
6. Hunt water sources in dry or hot weather.Water sources near comfort zones are very productive all hours of the day.
7. Night hunt
8. Repeat

Boar Buster

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When I am not stalking hogs in the daytime, I am hunting them under lights at night. All my feeders have led lights set ups on them. I don't have NV right now but I will soon. In my area NV isn't the best thing to hunt with but it will help me get around without being detected. I will probably start calling hogs at night. I think that may make things more sporty in the dark. 30 years ago I hunted with dogs in the thick cedars now I am to old a fat to chase dogs and hogs up and down and through the cedars, so I sit and wait for them to come to me.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
BB I am with you, at night I have lights set up at my feeder locations, they are always there, solar powered motion lights so the hogs become acclimated to them. When hunting I also have kill light mounted on my weapon. Day time I am going to start calling.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I spot and stalk 60% of the time, the other 40% I bump them while driving around the ranches checking cows/water/fence. Occasionally I will get a group together and push some brush or the river for some up close and personal shooting.

Rarely I will sit on a trough and wait for something to come get a drink, no night hunting here so its not very productive, its easier to catch them moving between water and feed or bedding.