What I learned that dark and stormy night...

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lit up this Hill Country rhino in a soggy pasture a few years ago in Elgin, with no cover for any of us. It was raining pretty hard, and he was rototilling around, making it a tough shot.

My buddy let fly off the shoulder with his 7 mag at about 80 yards, striking the boar mid-body and REALLY pissing him off.

The next two minutes consisted of him ripping around the pasture trying to find the SOB what done him wrong, me slipping in the mud trying to keep him lit up while yelling, "Hit him again!", and my gunner launching offshore artillery until the beast finally received his existential discharge.

image3.jpg image2.jpg image.jpg

Lessons:

* I wanna die with my hackles up.

* You can successfully hunt hogs in the rain. It ain't pretty, but it's better than sitting inside watching Netflix and wondering what Captain America keeps in those belt pouches that an alien invasion doesn't justify using.

* Shot placement is critical for a quick drop. A BFG is never a bad choice, but you still gotta hit the sweet (or, in this instance, the sour) spot.

* An injured hog will eventually come for you. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of his life.

* Keeping a million candlepower beam in a hogs's face, ironically, keeps him in the dark as to your location. The coyote calling axiom, "Your light is your camo" (with which I generally disagree), actually proved true in this instance.

* Finally, it's remarkably difficult to get a hunting garment sponsor when you dress like you were standing outside a Bangladeshi camo factory during the explosion..

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice one, good story too, like the humor!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great story my best hunts have been in the rain!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's lookin' like a mess. LOL Good huntin' tale

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great story my best hunts have been in the rain!
I'm short on good wet weather gear; is there any that you've found to be particularly useful?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I wear froggtoggs

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL