What have you shot a hog with?

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I was fairly impressed with the 77gr Sierra's, only had one get back up.
I used 77gr SMK out of 5.56(10.3) this year and both deer DRT with one hit each to the neck. I was shocked! So, yes, I've seen the 77gr do some work. But against the hogs with 5.56 TLM said "use Barnes or something with some penetration" so I heeded those words and that worked well. Mowed down some hogs, now I admit I fired too many rounds, but I wanted to make sure I got them. :)

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
22 was my first, 12 gauge, used a 44mag carbine for awhile then the 7.62x39 and finally the 6.8now

KJQ6945

LSB Member
22 was my first, 12 gauge, used a 44mag carbine for awhile then the 7.62x39 and finally the 6.8now
The 6.8 seems to be the perfect fit for the hogs, and I do believe you Texas boys are what has kept it alive. It is a hell of a round, but still in a compact package, unlike a AR10.
On my trip, one of the Pennsylvania guys was shooting a 6.5G, which absolutely tore them up. The other Indiana guy was using a .450 Bushmaster, and it made a very impressive hole on both sides of a 200 pound boar.

Lots of good choices out there, thanks for all the replies.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Very,very few hunt with a 6.8 over my way. Most have never heard of it. Only a few stores carry the ammo.
I hunt with two of them. One is my dedicated night hunting gun with thermal. I have a rather large stash of ammo,but currently using the older (3000fps) SSA 85gr TSX load. Works fine for me and am likeing the trajectory for calling yotes.
Have killed the bigger hogs with the factory 120gr SST loads also. This,coming from a 10.5" bbl. Two of my biggest hogs were killed with this load. One shot to the high shoulder.
Have also killed hogs with a 223Rem,308Win,45-70,and 500S&W rifle. --- pruhdlr
ADDED - - -> Forgot 454Casull,45ACP Beretta Carbine,10mm Glock pistol.

Last edited:

mc68

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
450Bushmaster
6.5Creedmoor
.45 acp
357 Sig

I'm working on getting one with my 10mm.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Indians use tomahawks! That's cool.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's awesome!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Free ranging hogs. Not penned or caught by dogs. Found a well used trail in the river swamp. Crouched down behind a big Cypress tree. Stuck them when they came by.
A 3" blade lets out a lot of blood,extremely quickly. Cold Steel Bore Spear. --- pruhdlr 20171209_111841.jpg

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was going to order one of their blades but never did. I like the adventure!

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
12 gauge with buck shot.
410 judge with buck shot.
7.62 x 39
.338 Lapua.
9mm.

KJQ6945

LSB Member
I feel bad now. I started this thread looking to see what kind of badass, odd guns you guys had used. We got guys stabbing them with spears. WTF?

I had never been hog hunting before, and being from Indiana, the hogs I've seen are mostly pink, and don't desire to kill me.

I feel like a chick now, I never went out with less than three guns. A rifle with the thermal, an SBR for back up, and a pistol, just because.

Who knew, all I needed was a sharp stick?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
All you really need is to hop on to ones back and ride em' out, I hear they tucker out pretty quick then sink in the rear naked choke and walaa!