Well ain't I the Lucky One...

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Handled a total of 2 hogs. Got brucellocis. Isn't that just speeeecial? :D
Seriously, tho. The Infectious Disease doc Miz Kris works for and the one at the hospital are pretty much in agreement it's Brucellosis. Everything else but one that I don't have the right rash for have been ruled out. We're still waiting on the longer running labs to come back from the state to confirm, tho'. So there's always the possibility these guys got it wrong. But the old man is the honcho for the local VA ID Clinic. He don't miss very often.
The first MD from the "convenience care" facility gets a pass. It does look just like the flu initially. My arrogant primary care physician, OTOH, caused harm. She delayed checking into anything but flu for a week and a half. Allowing it to get a running start at me. Even with Miz Kris telling her the symptoms weren't right and that I'd handled deer and wild pig in recent history.
The third guy at the convenience care clinic actually listened and initiated full testing. I ended up in the hospital for testing and observation. Got out yesterday and the dual antibiotics seem to be gettin a grip on it now. Although one of them turns yer pee to a very orange color. That was mildly "upsetting" under the current circumstances before someone told me it was the AB. Still don't have much energy, but at least I can move around some now.
I know Homer's gonna look like a HazMat team member when I clean these critters now. I used gloves and washed up with anti-bacterial soap when I got thru. Apparently that wasn't enough.
The AR cat in the state video I mentioned inna previous post doesn't look so AR anymore.
Anyways, while it's rare, it IS around.
Be careful out there, fellas. :cool:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hope you get better soon. It's never good to get something like that, but even worse during a holiday.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well if anyone should have gotten it it is me so ours must be clean over here. Sorry you got to be the unlucky one take care and heal up soon.

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow! Get better soon, man. Remember that hogs are a non-lick surface. Just sayin'.
Awww, man. Really? But it's bacon! :D

Thanks, fellas. The pisser is that once the AB's started workin I don't really feel too bad. But soon as I try to get the slightest bit "motivated", I get a not-so-subtle reminder that I'm still sick. But at least those danged temp fluxuations and the accompanying uncontrollable shivers/sweats are done. And that first Jurrasic Park Raptor bark cough that felt like it was blowing up my forehead. With nary a thing being produced from it. And a constant intractable headache at the base of my skull. Yup, I've had my fill of it and I'm ready to be shed of it.
Just gotta do the time and rest for a bit. I'll be back for my revenge soon enough.
I had a reasonable boar on the gamecam every evening right before things went sideways. :cool:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am guessing this happened in NC? have ya'll had many reported cases up there?

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Down here the smart ones carry these cards. We get them from the state game wardens (FWC).
I carry one in my truck,in my wallet,and my wife has one in her purse. --- pruhdlr
While I do not disagree that a card wouldn't be a bad idea, I had an Infectious Disease Specialty RN with me 'splaining how it could possibly be bacterial/tick bourne and that I'd recently been in contact with a coupla wild pigs and the MD's still didn't listen. I can't be sure that waggin a card in their face would have improved the situation.
Frank- She studied up on this particular infection and found that there were only 205 confirmed cases in the country last year, or it may have been 2015 for latest data. The ID doc at the hospital said it was mostly a "middle eastern" thing. I thought they hated pigs. Mebbe the whole of the ME isn't muslim. Either way, no one I know has had any issues with it. They were leaning t'wards RMSF for a long time, but a coupla symptoms didn't match up. Hopefully I'll know something conclusive after this lab gets done with it's tests. :cool:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How long have you been dealing with this?? I agree if the Docs will not listen to a RN, it is doubtful they are going to listen to me and my card, I do believe if I get that feeling I will be moving on!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ugh !!! Sorry to hear it. Hope it's not too serious for you in the long term. Sucks right now, no doubt.

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How long have you been dealing with this?? I agree if the Docs will not listen to a RN, it is doubtful they are going to listen to me and my card, I do believe if I get that feeling I will be moving on!
Right at 3 weeks so far. I've definitely "turned the corner" with it, tho'. But I'll still be on meds for a bit.
They key with this mess is early detection before it gets a chance to do permanent damage. Some of the things that can happen without early treatment ain't pretty and last a lifetime. A fever that lasts more than 5 days accompanied by joint pain and a headache ya can't get to subside are key symptoms to note for anyone that comes in contact with these animals. The PITA part being that it's rarity is enough for a regular MD to poo-poo the thought 'cause they've never personally seen it. Ya hafta keep at'em 'cause those first days are critical. The treatment is easy and relatively inexpensive. It's just antibiotics. :cool: Jake..

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am guessing this happened in NC? have ya'll had many reported cases up there?
And I think you'll be glad to know that there were no confirmed cases in Florida.
They've been limited to Cali, Tx, NC & Va.
Who'd-a-thunkit? :cool: Jake..

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is crazy we have not had confirmed cases here..you need to come and hunt with me then

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got Lyme's disease from a tick while bow hunting in Nebraska over a decade ago. Tried to kill me, heck I almost killed me because it sucked that bad. Took meds for a few years, it was miserable for a long time. When I gave my life to the Lord I got healed and have never had another issue! Ahhhhh...the Great Physician is still the best!

D

djones

dang sneak that's a tough break. can't believe you got it after just two hogs and you took precautions with gloves and washing up. i try to be careful but don't think it does much good. OinK paints my face with pig poop and blood and then makes me eat the liver raw. i think i will start spitting it out when he's not looking from now on.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
dang sneak that's a tough break. can't believe you got it after just two hogs and you took precautions with gloves and washing up. i try to be careful but don't think it does much good. OinK paints my face with pig poop and blood and then makes me eat the liver raw. i think i will start spitting it out when he's not looking from now on.
I can't believe you admitted that you don't spit it out.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter