we deer hunt as well our 2012 season

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Talon's buck
Talon got his season off with a bang. We started out easing through the woods rattling off and on. We didn’t get a response right off, about 30 minutes in we spooked some does. We stopped and got set up right there, grunted, rattled and they calmed right down. There was a spike buck with them and he came right on in. Now that we are allowed a spike and a trophy buck Talon decided to take him out of the gene pool. He made a great shot, captured on video forever. I’ll sure be glad when that boy’s big enough to drag’em he’s makin’ me old! We were across a creek and half a mile in thick cover. Makes for some tough draggin’ for a short fatman!
59611_456788851026480_1824031200_n.jpg

This is one of those hunting stories where I would like to able to tell you we’ve been watching this buck for years, but it wouldn’t be true. In fact we had no idea he was in the area. We had all seen does working these fields and decided to get in a little earlier than we usually do to hunt hogs and just watch the field and do some calling. Talon and I had just sat down under a big pecan tree when we noticed buzzards landing in the tall grass; we watched the spot to mark it and see what was dead later. Well, we forgot to look! As we watched we saw a doe fawn standing there not 30 yards from us looking at them as well. So we decided to do a little rattlin’ and see what else stood up. Immediately several more does got up and a small buck. They eased our way and the buck hung around forever. We played with him calling him back many times. It was then I noticed a doe running about 500 yards away. I knew there had to be a buck chasing her. I strained my eyes out to spot him, but there was one that kept it’s head down and I couldn’t tell. We decided to move out into the tall weeds to see if we could get a better look. We crawled about 50 yards before I spotted the buck. I could tell he had antlers and that he was wide. That was enough to keep us planted! For the next two hours all we caught were glimpses of him chasing does and working a scrape. I would snort wheeze, grunt with a Haydel’s Ham-Ma-Slama {meant for hogs} and rattle. He would look our way and still all we could see were his antler tips. He would leave the field for several minutes at time and then just reappear out of nowhere. It was all we could do to not go to him, but not being able to watch him I knew that was the wrong thing to do. We kept calling trying to pull him away from the does that were slowly working their way to our down wind side. I knew if they got our scent it was over. The buck was easing along behind them still chasing a doe from time to time, they just didn’t want to leave the group. He disappeared behind some tall grass FOREVER, so I grunted and made doe bleats with my voice. When I did he turned heading our way and to the left. He needed to go a few more yards to give Talon a shot, but just as quickly he turned and headed back to the does. I grunted again and he turned again heading to our down wind side. The does were nearly downwind of us now and I was still afraid they would get there before the buck offered a shot. He finally stepped into an area where Talon could get the shot and I heard a doe blow! I said; “Take the shot if you have it son”. He did, the buck dropped right there! I was never so glad to see a one shot drop. The emotion that followed can not be explained. I took pictures from video to show just how excited Talon was. it’s called “RAW EMOTION”
this is all we could see of him for almost 2 hours! can you see him?
65463_456921164346582_951939249_n.jpg

561_457087777663254_1976200143_n.jpg

60610_457090327662999_1282616459_n.jpg

559405_457076187664413_479250290_n.jpg

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Daughter Krista and wife’s bucks
As we thought about the upcoming hunt for the evening I had to consider the wind. There was very little and it was from nearly every direction. As Krista and I approached the spot I had picked out next to a brush pile, a couple of hogs busted us. I kept checking the wind by kicking dirt in the air and I’m sure that’s what alerted them to our being there. My hands were full of gear so that was the best way I had to check it. Even though the wind wasn’t as I would like it to be, we decided to set there anyway. Michelle couldn’t sit in her favorite spot due to what little wind we had changing every five seconds. So she sat in a spot I like to set in about half a mile away from us. We hadn’t been there long when a group of hogs passed through and milled around. Krista had a big red sow picked out to shoot but they were on edge and just never offered a shot she felt comfortable taking. They moved through to our far right and were still a bit spooky, I never really knew why. They weren’t looking our way they were looking in the brush to our right and in front of us about 100 yards. As they moved on I tried to grunt them back with the Ham-Ma-Slama, no dice they weren’t coming back. I had just turned the video camera off and leaned back to answer a text of all things when I noticed a nice buck to our far left. I whispered to Krista; DON’T MOVE! I could see her eyes darting back and forth, but she could not see the buck. He knew exactly where we were, he was coming in to the grunting. He moved a bit further forward and now Krista could see him as well. A dang airplane flew over very low and he headed for the brush. I told Krista to get ready, I turned the camera back on, grunted several times real fast, snort wheezed and rattled. The buck circled way out in front of use and to our right perfect for a 75 yard shot. Just as Krista readied to squeeze the trigger, he turned quartering towards us, trying to see what we were. She made the shot. He kicked the high heart shot kick, ran about 40 yards and crashed in the thick brush. Within seconds of Krista’s shot we heard Michelle shoot. We both looked and each other and said; she must have shot one of those hogs that headed her way. A few more seconds passed before Michelle texts us to; say buck down!
Here’s Michelle’s version what her hunt; “I was watching a small buck when Krista shot he ran back to the creek, just then a big buck stepped out about 120 yards away and a doe followed. I knew he was the one and I made the shot. He made a half circle and was out of sight. I eased down the hill side and immediately saw blood and then the buck lying in the tall grass”. There was no ground shrinkage here for sure!
Man my girls can shoot.
Krista’s buck is a main frame 10 point with a Kicker off the back of the right side.
Michelle’s buck is a 9 point. Check out the fish hook on the right brow tine.
535611_460645097307522_1883100471_n.jpg

602609_460646670640698_1031714507_n.jpg

533603_460649873973711_1032185923_n.jpg

523371_460650313973667_625791106_n.jpg

523632_460650590640306_472509713_n.jpg

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Daughter Micaela’s buck
This morning I rattled in two bucks and watched one freak horned buck with a doe { not sure he would be legal under our current regs, but he was for sure a shooter}! One of the bucks I rattled in was a pretty good buck. So this evening I sent Michelle , Micaela and Talon to that spot in hopes of Micaela getting a shot at him. I went to the other side of the pasture to watch a field. As I approached my sitting spot under a big tree I could see the top of a bucks head in the tall grass. I wandered why he didn’t spot me walking in and leave, then I noticed a doe. He was with a hot doe and wasn’t about to leave her. I watched him for some time before deciding he wasn’t the one I wanted. I called Michelle and told her to send Micaela my direction. I kept watching the buck and watching for Micaela. She was nearly to me when the doe took off and the buck followed out into an open field with NO cover. Then I noticed a smaller buck following them. I had Micaela look the buck over to decide whether or not she wanted to shoot him. She only got a quick glimpse of him before the doe took off again. They were now nearly a half mile away. The bigger buck and the little guy were squaring off at each other and the bigger buck was trying to focus on the other buck and the doe at the same time. So we decided to just walk across the wide open naked field in hopes of getting close enough for Micaela to make the shot. We had now been watching him for more than two hours. We were just about close enough for her to make the shot when the doe took off again. To our knowledge none of them had noticed us yet. She ran in our direction and brought the buck into range. Micaela knelt down, steadied the AR15 on the Bogpods and made an awesome 100+ yard double lung shot. The buck ran about 80 yards and piled up. He wasn’t the buck I saw the morning but he was a nice buck all the same.
207535_465042076867824_1427693132_n.jpg

My Busted leg buck
Well I had one of those days where it all goes wrong! I had about an hour and a half of hunting light left and my last job was near one of my hunting spots. I crossed the river and eased into my hunting area. I spotted a young buck and stopped to watch him. Then I spotted a bigger buck, I looked him over pretty good and then gave him a pass. As he followed a doe away I noticed he had a limp. I moved on to my spot and sat down. It was nearing dark and I had seen a few more bucks move by and a few doe. Over my left shoulder I noticed a doe with a nice buck following. It was the buck I had passed earlier. I looked at his leg through the magnifier and could see about 6 inches of bone showing through a nasty wound. Though I’ve passed much better bucks so far this year, I decided I would take him. He moved behind a bush, stood on his hind legs to reach a licking branch and worked a scrape. Then beat a bush to death. I grunted at him with my Haydel’s Ham-A-Slama and he head my way. He stopped to look at the doe one last time before a 6.8 Hornady hit’em. Women they’ll do it to you every time!
481787_468541463184552_973672262_n.jpg

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
believe it or not we give most of the deer away. We are all full up with pork! I do make some jerky.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd feed that pork to the dogs to make room for the venison! I hope my daughter will enjoy hunting like yours.

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have 5 children 4 are girls, they all enjoy the outdoors. I'm a very blessed man I assure you. PS they don't date democrats either!:D

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love it, NO democrats!! Great looking family there Glenn, congrats to getting them all in the field!