Waco Expo

Eddy Gein

LSB Member
Got to meet up with Lawman & browse the expo today.
Got to coon finger all the cool equipment at the Ident booth, thanks guys.
Lawman & I stopped at a table called Nite Site, kinda got my attention.
It's an NV digital camera/video screen that attaches to your scope with a rubber eyepiece & has an IR cluster that mounts on top of scope with a clamp.
I do mostly still/blind hunting & like to use different rifles all the time so a dedicated NV scope really isn't the thing for me.
My rifles all have WAY to much recoil for NV or thermal, another reason this peaks my interest.
Also price, they start @ $750 up to 1250.
It looks like the camera is the same & what you are paying extra for is the extra IR.
I have been trying to find consumer reviews but the only ones I can find are from folks they sponsor.
If anyone has had any experience with one OR knows anyone that has, let me know, thanks.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think they are brand new so there will not be many reviews yet. Can't remember who suggested it but try researching making your own. A digital camera with the IR filter removed may work for you. I know you have fab skills and some good friends with eletrical wiring experience.

Eddy Gein

LSB Member
" Can't remember who suggested it but try researching making your own"

GIMME GIMME

I AM a soldering MASTER.
Part of what I did as a Master Auto Tech for many years.
Iffin somebody could give simple O'l me a list I could go to Radio Shack with, I would trade in wild boars for it?????

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There was a thread somewhere on people making their own? 6.8 maybe? They had all the things you need to get and do, seemed easy for the experienced.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was there on Friday and played with the scope setup Eddy mentioned. While it is a neat idea, in theory, the drawback for me is the giant TV screen viewer that can either be mounted to the top of the scope. It producing WAY too much light for night hunting, but is has the IR illuminator mounted in it, so it needs to be there.

I see some of the ratters in England using these (check Youtube vids) both from this company and homemade, but they all seem to have the backlighting issue. Maybe it doesn't matter for ratting where rats don't notice things like that, but I can't see implementing such during a stalk or even in an open-topped stand. You would need a drape over you like one of those cameras from the 1800s, but to keep light from being seen as opposed to getting in to the camera.

The concept is generally good, but the implementation is still awkward and a bit hokey. I think that if they could make a tiny viewer, maybe clip-on to a helmet and have the IR illuminator NOT tied to the viewer, it would be a much slicker and more functional package.