Video Gear Questions

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
The limitation is supplying power. I have seen ones with built in rechargeable power, but they are bigger of course

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I go out of town and away from the computer for one weekend and look what I miss.....

I've been meaning to put something like this together. The equipment and power supplies can be minimal in size and weight, but other than multiple people being able to see the video output in real time, it isn't a big benefit.

To start, you'd now be looking through the video output instead of the viewfinder. So right off the bat your image won't be as good. Then add in an interference between the transmitter and the receiver and your signal would be further degraded.

Attached is an example as to how small you can make the transmitter side of things, just a couple grams for a 1.2mhz 10mw transmitter that will give a pretty decent signal. That is the camera/vtx combo I used to fly the ladybird 400 yards for example. However I had a 12"x24" directional antenna on the rx side. A small 1s lipo battery could be used to power the vtx side of things to keep the weight down as well.

Here's a sample of what kind of signal you'd get from a 600mw 5.8 vtx in less than 100 yards of winter trees.

All that said, it still seems like a fun thing to try. If only so I can use my goggles and see the thermal camera with both eyes like a PVS-7....

Attachments

• IMG_2300.JPG
    IMG_2300.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 6

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
OK Rd, i have all the parts, including monitor/dvr. Will be a while yet, will work on it.

Two issues, the transmitter requires between 6-30v input, not a real problem, I have 6v battery packs i made (4 AA's), but I imagine it will have a cutoff voltage in the 5.x volt range, so will have to supply more V+ to run longer times.

Other issue, audio in, I will have to wire in a mic to the transmitter.

Will be a few weeks or maybe sooner before I complete it. Then will test the range on it.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL... it would appear my inquiry has inspired the flow of creative juices? Standing by to see what you create.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
The rain in Texas is making me bored, since I can't get out there, snakes are crazy during the summer in West Texas and you have to take a bath in mosquitoe repellent.

I'd be out there, but 3' tall weeds, rattlesnakes and an expensive Dogo Argentino keep me from wanting to go.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A snake bites that dog... only ONE thing will happen. Four days later, the snake would die. LOL

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
He had a snake vaccine, which helps fight the affects, but would rather he not get bit. He is snake trained, but can't see, hear, or smell all of them.

My take on the wireless setup so far. Not really practical for the normal hunter. Extra stuff that you have to verify is on, verify they are synced and a separate recorder to work with not on the gun, wherever you put it.

Where there may be a use for it is law enforcement, military or if you just want your buddies to watch the action. I believe if you coordinate the frequencies of the transmitter, you can probably have multiple monitors to watch and/or record the action in real time.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes, multiple viewers can be set up and used.