"Very Large" Small Hog

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So Ken and I went out again this morning to the fields behind his place where we had previously shot pigs together at the end of last week and each individually shot pigs on subsequent days (but mine was not recovered). We were hopeful to encounter the large group of hogs again, but also realized that they might be pretty gun-shy by now. As we learned while entering the first pasture that had cattle, the cattle had become gun-shy. They were not happy to have us visit again.

No luck in the first pasture and so we proceeded north and up onto a large dam that runs E-W that gives excellent views of several field N and S, some of which are divided by fences and some simply by groves of tree. Nothing was sighted to the E and so we backtracked W and beyond our entry point. No hogs.

As the dam taped back down to ground level at the far W end, we found a gate that allowed easy access to the large field where I shot my last hog. Using the gate beat the hell out of trying to go over the barbed wire, LOL.

This field is probably 40 acres of a park-like setting. There are large, mature oaks and groves of oaks distributed randomly throughout the field, some spaced well apart, some not. So as you proceed through the field, your ability to see in a given direction changes with distance. You may be able to see 100 yards to the west through a gap in the trees and 20 feet later not be able to see more than 10 yards to the west.

So we could hear cattle and finally spotted a few on thermal and worked our way toward them mindful of the wind. We finally got to a point where I could see cattle way off to the sound, lots of cattle, but also see a small group to our immediate west through a gap in the trees, including what might be calves or possibly hogs. I had Ken check out the animals with his Pulsar N750 for identification while I scanned other directions with the thermal scope. Ken confirmed at least one definite hog and maybe several others. He also noted they were all tight with some cows.

Using some trees to shield us from the hogs, we worked our way westward to about 20 yards from the gap in the trees and set up with shooting sticks (yes, I remembered them this time!) for a shot. The animals were 20-40 yards beyond the other side of the 'window' in the trees. This 'window' was small enough that the two hogs I was watching were shielded from view to Ken who was only a few feet to my side. Similarly, I could not see the hog that he was targeting.

We bantered back and forth four or five times about who had a shot and when. Last time we tried for a double, he said he flinched and his shot nearly scalped the hog, so this time he went first. He called it and fired and I flinched, but did not fire and my hogs disappeared as quickly as his hog.

I heard running somewhere beyond the trees and so I picked up and ran around behind Ken's position and off to his far left and saw hogs running. I got down on my sticks to line up a shot when three VERY LARGE hogs came into view, moving quickly but not running. To my surprise, they were headed toward us and I was certain our position would be overrun! Apparently about that time, they realized I was there and changed direction and I fired and hit the third on the move - THWACK!. The others disappeared, but I saw several additional streaks flash by as I heard my hog squeal. It was a brief, but intense experience and I felt very good about having stopped the hogs.

The streak circled around behind us and I picked up and moved rearward in hopes of another shot, but because of the limited fields of view afforded by the trees, they quickly disappeared, though I glimpsed them several times as they got smaller and smaller in the distance.

No idea what happened to Ken's hog. No THWACK was heard and there was no blood. With the same rifle and ammo, Ken had head shot a hog at 80 yards in the next field, but possibly missed at 40-50. All we can figure is that it must have moved at the last moment.

My LARGE hog turned out to have been a very small 52 lb boar that just looked really large through 4.5x and a distance of less than 20 yards, LOL. Turns out, this is the smallest pig I have ever shot, but at the time, with its buddies, it was a big hog! It was coming right at us!

We searched for about an hour for the possible second pig with no luck. As long as this group keeps returning, we will keep trying to meet it. So far, we have shot pigs on four of the last six mornings between the two of us...and they keep coming. That's good entertainment!

100_1809reduced.JPG

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Perfect eating size!! if they are coming at you and are close they all look large!! Good job!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
From the 250lb size to 52, lots of hot air!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice Job. Caught a couple Grillin' pigs today, actually last night. I take them out alive and sell them, I have a list of people who always want cooking size hoglets. It is always Fun wrestling them.IMG_0002.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 5

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice Dan, good job. You ever keep a feed/fatten them for a month or so then eat them?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No... They cost too much to feed and they grow sloooowly. Besides I grew up farming and don't really like cleaning up poop anymore. haha

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When I used to trap I would feed them a month heavy to get the taste and fat I wanted, no more than that. You are right though, just eat them the size they are trapped...LOL lots easier.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I never eat the ones I trap, they all get sold. I shoot the ones I want to eat just for fun and to get rid of them. Today's 3 I gave to a friend who is having his family up from Mexico this weekend for his birthday, so.... now I get to eat them too but don't have to cook! I live here in Texas alone, no family so I don't cook too much.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are you trapping/hunting your property a lease or what?? I lived in and around SA for a long time and loved it.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Neither. I moved here about 9 mths ago and just started knocking on doors and advertising on Craigslist and I have been trapping and hunting ever since. I go from Poteet and Von Ormy and up to San Marcos. I aquired 30 acres on the San Marcos river that a guy needed hogs controlled. After a few mths there of taking care of the place, it is woods with a couple tanks and 1000' of river frontage, I would send him pictures(he lives 100 miles away) and he was happy with me so I now have deer hunting, dove hunting, turkey, hogs and fishing. I have 4 tree stands up and a few traps. I go every couple days just to play. That my friend is called being Blessed. I had a guy call today to come trap at his 350 acre place. I trapped a pile of hogs out of there and got bored with it, I may take a few more traps down there again.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey I love the initiative, no sense sitting around complaining about no place to hunt! Sounds like you are right at home now...Congrats

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So Ken and I went out again this morning to the fields behind his place where we had previously shot pigs together at the end of last week and each individually shot pigs on subsequent days (but mine was not recovered). We were hopeful to encounter the large group of hogs again, but also realized that they might be pretty gun-shy by now. As we learned while entering the first pasture that had cattle, the cattle had become gun-shy. They were not happy to have us visit again.

No luck in the first pasture and so we proceeded north and up onto a large dam that runs E-W that gives excellent views of several field N and S, some of which are divided by fences and some simply by groves of tree. Nothing was sighted to the E and so we backtracked W and beyond our entry point. No hogs.

As the dam taped back down to ground level at the far W end, we found a gate that allowed easy access to the large field where I shot my last hog. Using the gate beat the hell out of trying to go over the barbed wire, LOL.

This field is probably 40 acres of a park-like setting. There are large, mature oaks and groves of oaks distributed randomly throughout the field, some spaced well apart, some not. So as you proceed through the field, your ability to see in a given direction changes with distance. You may be able to see 100 yards to the west through a gap in the trees and 20 feet later not be able to see more than 10 yards to the west.

So we could hear cattle and finally spotted a few on thermal and worked our way toward them mindful of the wind. We finally got to a point where I could see cattle way off to the sound, lots of cattle, but also see a small group to our immediate west through a gap in the trees, including what might be calves or possibly hogs. I had Ken check out the animals with his Pulsar N750 for identification while I scanned other directions with the thermal scope. Ken confirmed at least one definite hog and maybe several others. He also noted they were all tight with some cows.

Using some trees to shield us from the hogs, we worked our way westward to about 20 yards from the gap in the trees and set up with shooting sticks (yes, I remembered them this time!) for a shot. The animals were 20-40 yards beyond the other side of the 'window' in the trees. This 'window' was small enough that the two hogs I was watching were shielded from view to Ken who was only a few feet to my side. Similarly, I could not see the hog that he was targeting.

We bantered back and forth four or five times about who had a shot and when. Last time we tried for a double, he said he flinched and his shot nearly scalped the hog, so this time he went first. He called it and fired and I flinched, but did not fire and my hogs disappeared as quickly as his hog.

I heard running somewhere beyond the trees and so I picked up and ran around behind Ken's position and off to his far left and saw hogs running. I got down on my sticks to line up a shot when three VERY LARGE hogs came into view, moving quickly but not running. To my surprise, they were headed toward us and I was certain our position would be overrun! Apparently about that time, they realized I was there and changed direction and I fired and hit the third on the move - THWACK!. The others disappeared, but I saw several additional streaks flash by as I heard my hog squeal. It was a brief, but intense experience and I felt very good about having stopped the hogs.

The streak circled around behind us and I picked up and moved rearward in hopes of another shot, but because of the limited fields of view afforded by the trees, they quickly disappeared, though I glimpsed them several times as they got smaller and smaller in the distance.

No idea what happened to Ken's hog. No THWACK was heard and there was no blood. With the same rifle and ammo, Ken had head shot a hog at 80 yards in the next field, but possibly missed at 40-50. All we can figure is that it must have moved at the last moment.

My LARGE hog turned out to have been a very small 52 lb boar that just looked really large through 4.5x and a distance of less than 20 yards, LOL. Turns out, this is the smallest pig I have ever shot, but at the time, with its buddies, it was a big hog! It was coming right at us!

We searched for about an hour for the possible second pig with no luck. As long as this group keeps returning, we will keep trying to meet it. So far, we have shot pigs on four of the last six mornings between the two of us...and they keep coming. That's good entertainment!

View attachment 553
Nuttin' like a little ground shrinkage to keep one motivated for another/bigger one.