Using Thermal To Follow Blood Trails?

Navygator

LSB Active Member
First, excellent video. I can see where blood trails would be tough to track.
It has been awhile since I used thermo, but I would think blood would stay warmer on the ground longer given that the truck probably cools to ambient quicker (it is cooler than the ground) and the metals tranfers heat much better.
That said, instead of 15 seconds on the truck, you may get 30 seconds on the ground. Still, a short time.

Thoughts?

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That truck door IS the ambiant air temp. The huge piece of sheet metal sucks the heat out of the liquid (blood) pretty fast.
I have been able to see hog blood swipes on the thick pinestraw for up to several minutes (guessing 2.5-3) after the animal drug/skidded across it.
The ambiant air temp those nights was approx. 55deg. Zero wind and humidity about 70%. --- pruhdlr

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The metal was, or was close to it, as was most of the grass you see in the image, all ambient temperature and all looking about the same color in thermal. Metal does heat sink well. However, notice that you don't see in residual blood spray on the ground. That stuff cooled quick. I have other videos where I have shot hogs and you can see the blood spray from them as the run, spray onto grass or the ground, and immediately fade. Blood does not stay warm for long or distinctively warmer than the surrounding environment for very long at all. The smaller the splatter/spray, the quicker it reaches ambient temp.

There is good reason you don't see folks tracking blood trails with thermal.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
And . . . most of the blood that I have been able to see has been somewhat thick,almost jelly type lung blood.
Thanks for posting your OP. This will give thermal users a good dose of reality. --- pruhdlr

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good explanation! Brian the scientist!