UNV Battery kit

sigfla

LSB Member
Does anyone have an older unit with the braided and shrink wrapped cable? I want to know if the DC plug inserts all the way into the battery adapter. I have a newer unit that comes with a much less heavy duty USB to DC plug that will plug into the adapter but it leaves a lot of the male end outside the barrel of the adapter plug. Everything I have seen with the old plug on youtube shows it being fully inserted and no metal showing. I hate to have so much sticking out. Its a recipe for breakage and I am not happy about the non braided cable.

sigfla

LSB Member
OR can anyone with the older braided cable tell me the length of the plug portion in mm? I think I can buy a HD braided USB to mini USB cable and use a small adapter to plug into the DC plug. Pity they didn't use a locking DC plug instead.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
jdpIxin.jpg

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
If you click on that ^^ image to blow it up, you can tell if it shows what you want to see. i'm not sure about the different versions ... this battery kit got "tossed in" to my purchase as an "extra" but that was 3 months shy of 3 years ago ...

I have not had any trouble with it and I use it for both Patrol and ATN ODIN.

sigfla

LSB Member
Yep. When you plug that braided cable in the whole male end disappears into the female socket. When I plug mine in there is alot left of the male portion sticking outside. Almost looks like it’s not plugged in all the way. I can see it breaking or letting in moisture where as yours is seated deeper.

sigfla

LSB Member
Called UNV. The gap is normal. They discontinued the braided cable. They did however improve upon the adapter utilizing a metal female plug rather than the plastic one. I suggested they go back to the braided cable, improve the plugs seating depth and use a locking DC plug in the 3rd gen if they come out with one. Otherwise it works well and I am happy with my unit. A more durable cable would be nice but can’t complain about this one yet other than the cosmetics