Unrecovered

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

No hog recovery this time despite a goodly amount of blood. Shot the hog through the neck and while there was a stumble and spurting of blood after the shot went through (not spray from the shot itself), the hog took off. The second was where I aimed, but either the shot passed through with no result, or it passed behind the hog. It would not be unexpected for an abdomen 2nd impact to yield little immediate result, but the shot looked late. Shot three was a low miss.

During the run, two globs seem fall from the hog and do not appear to be excrement. Both seemed to dissipate when hitting the ground. Blood or body tissue? Stomach contents? Don't know. Did not see them at the time and never looked for a blood trail in the shooting area. Instead, picked up the the blood trail further up the path where the hog was last seen.

Despite a long blood trail, it started petering out among the briar and poison ivy as I was crawling on my hands and knees on varmint trails. Mr. TBR (landowner) had reached a stopping point and was providing a light for me to find my way back and when I reached the point where I could not make out his light anymore is when I finally gave up.

It was pretty interesting, inside of 30 minutes of being shot and laying down the blood trail, ants had found the blood. Often, finding the blood was a matter of finding the ants.

At this point, I am relying on the members of the Turkey Buzzard Preservation Society to locate the hog, though I doubt I could ever find it in the thickety.

And there you have it.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang it, oh well he is dead in there somewhere. Tough buggers these swine, mine got away tuesday night but is no longer showing up on the trail cams with his compadres. Great video and good shot anyway Brian. Looks like TBR is heating up for ya!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The birds will find him you whacked him a good one. Nice going and it looks like a whole bunch more pork has moved on in. BANG BANG!!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've found several hogs by returning to the spot a few days later to check for buzzards. Usually isn't much left of them by that point.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang it, oh well he is dead in there somewhere. Tough buggers these swine, mine got away tuesday night but is no longer showing up on the trail cams with his compadres. Great video and good shot anyway Brian. Looks like TBR is heating up for ya!

It seems like piglets are showing up a lot lately from what I am seeing others post. It is just that time of year and mamas need food to feed their young. I am glad to see some action. However, I am not sure how I ended up with 3 boars, LOL. Maybe one of the sows is in heat and they are vying for her affections?

I've found several hogs by returning to the spot a few days later to check for buzzards. Usually isn't much left of them by that point.

Yeah, but I don't get to confirm as dead without a body and if I don't confirm, the kids don't get cookies. If I get lucky, Mr. TBR or his boy will check out what the buzzards have and provide confirmation...if the buzzards find it. That stuff was awfully thick!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's disappointing but also one of the reasons they are fun to hunt to me. I bet he didn't get far.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well... those kids need their cookies... turn 'em loose to track the stink. LOL I'm calling that a kill just the same. Nice work there Brian.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice video. Surprised the first shot didn't anchor him

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They are tough buggers. Great educational/informative video. Keep pulling the trigger!

D

djones

perhaps you should have been shooting a 223
bolt_zpsbsrfsdwz.gif

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like a good shot ! Just didn't work out ... next time but always a good video.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I believe we have seen so much success with the SST bullets, that VLD's just will not match the SST rounds immediate shock on target.
Different bullet (SST), and I believe your hog would have folded mid-stride. Looks like the VLD's must hit bone to be effective.
Good hit on your hog Brian.