Unexpectedly Close Boar

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have mentioned blind stalks on this property before. There are lots of hills and terraces and valleys on this property that if I spy something from a high spot and go after it, there is a good chance I will lose sight of it during the stalk if it is very far away, or as in this case, if the target is also on the move.

At the start of the hunt, I spied a hog going into the high brush horse pasture and I opted not to go after it. I have tried going after hogs there before and they are easily lost from view. So I let it go. About 90 minutes later, a hog came out of the high brush horse pasture and out into the open. The only problem was that it was too far to reliably shoot and was on the move, trotting northward. My plan was to intercept the hog to the north. I had about a 100 - 150 yard head start on it and figured I could close the distance to make the shot. While I was able to keep an eye on the hog for much of the way, it was eventually lost from view, being lower down in a valley.

As I approached the terrace edge, I spotted the top of my hog still moving north at a good clip, maybe 50 or 60 yards away. I figured it would come out of the little valley maybe 50-75 yards further north where I would have a good position for a shot. So I stopped, got on my sticks, and got my recorder turned on as I started scanning for the hog. After having spotted the hog, it apparently turned westward toward me and came up out of the valley only about 40 yards from where I was, still moving quick. This was not what I had anticipated!

Also in the video is a demonstration of how I go about finding wounds on hogs. I regularly see posts from folks where they mention that they were unable to find and entry or exit wound (one or both) because the hog "sealed up" after being shot. So I do a little hog surfing. I roll the hog over to the side where the wound is supposed to be, stand on top of it, and bounce several times. Hogs are pretty squirmy if you try to stand on top of them, but the bouncing action along with gravity will force blood out of the wound channel and mark the wound's location. ALWAYS make sure your hog is absolutely dead before attempting to do this - just sayin'.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
But, wouldn't it be MUCH more exciting to surf a live hog?
The video would certainly be interesting.

I might even chip in a few bucks to see that …

Another good video, thanks!

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video as always. I was expecting some Beach Boys in the soundtrack of the hog surfing! Good pickup on the boar showing up that close. Increases the heart rate!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As you were climbing up onto that hog... my first thought was: "This is how your sister likes it." I likes good, plain ol' common sense means of getting information needed. That ol' boy was a little too close for comfort. Good seein' him go down quickly.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good boar down! Definitely a rush when they suddenly pop up unexpectedly .

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice vid....I thought that boar was going to lower his head and charge you.

Bama

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You made him put the breaks on mighty quick!! Great shooting and staying cool under pressure. Always enjoy your posts!

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Excellent description of a tough to visualize situation.

And outstanding trigonometric extrapolation

Hell, I can’t get my Catahoula to run at that clip with ears floppin’ with a BBQ rib in my hand.
I don’t know what he was actually expecting on that the other side of the ridge, but he certainly got the opposite.