Unexpected big boar!

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I often take a trip out to do some spotting at one place or another on Friday night before bed. It has happened plenty of times I see and am able to stock and shoot hogs during my spotting adventures, but I didn't expect to see anything as hot as its been. Since our temps around here have been well into the 90's during the day, it has been later and later that the hogs have been crossing.

I was setup in my deer stand at about 9:20. After taking several 300 deg scans of the hay and corn fields I simply sat on the edge of my open stand to relax and enjoy the night sounds. The stand is setup about 30 yards from the Colorado river, so I get lots of good night sounds from all the creatures around the area.

Some friends were doing some river fishing on the opposite corner of the property roughly 500 yards away, and I promised them I wouldn't shoot in there direction. They laughed and thanked, and wished me luck.

After sitting a few min, I stood to take another scan, and spotted the single boar that came up from the river bank into the hayfield to cross over to the neighbors corn field. It was painful to just watch him walk, but I knew I had to wait for him to cover about 150 yards before I could take a safe shot away from the guys who were fishing.

When I saw him I was using my tripod, and knew if I dropped down to the deck into the prone position it would be a much easier shot. I had the new LWCR 6.8 and simply rested the gun on the 30 round clip. Acadamy was out of stock on the bi-pod I wanted.

I've been very used to using my .308 and was just a bit concerned at the stopping power this little 6.8 had up against a large boar. Most around here are usually 150 lbs or under so I didn't figure it would be that big of a deal, but I had wondered.

He was walking at a good pase, enough I knew I would have to lead him just a bit. I took a breath with anticipation and pulled the trigger. Sigh He Dropped In His Tracks! And He's Not getting up! Yaaaa Buddy!

The 110 gr did the job, with my heart pounding I pulled out the phone and called my friend who was fishing and asked if he wanted any of this. He laughed and said yes.

Once down from the stand and into the truck, I decided I had better stop and simply stalk up on the boar. Sure enough he was moving around. While still down he managed to spin himself around 365 deg. I took aim at his chin and put on more in him. Now he's done. Off to get the truck. With lights on him It was clear he was big. Thanks to Lunpunman, I dug out my tape, and started to do a happy dance once I saw he was over 46" I must have shot at least 3, 44" hogs in the last year. Finally one big enough for the club!

One shoulder was messed up fairly bad, but I cut out the other and back straps for my friend. The head is presently in the freezer, to be processed later. Will add a pic once it is cleaned. I didnt get to bed till midnight and had a long day today but it was worth it!

2412jhk.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That little 6.8 is the little round that could/can/will. Congrats on the fine beast there!!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome story and better hog! Congrats on getting in the club

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice big hog ... love it when everything comes together. Happy Hunting!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you did good!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome! Sometimes when you least expect it, the best things happen. Good job!!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome!

D

djones

Thanks to Lunpunman, I dug out my tape, and started to do a happy dance once I saw he was over 46" I must have shot at least 3, 44" hogs in the last year. Finally one big enough for the club!
ugh ohh. i wish you hadn't said that. if you got the tape from lonepunman, we're going to have to confiscate the tape for a ruling.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Speaking of an unexpected big bore...

Here I am, just sittin' at the forum bar, enjoying my Hill Country hunting buddy tell about his hard earned banner hawg, and now djones done decided to throw a rope over me and drag me into HIS ass slappin' and smack talk.

Now, I'm going to let this first one slide, but, in slim's defense, the tape I gave him (unlike the one that the veterinarian who delivered dj utilized to determine his gender) is indeed accurate.

Last edited:
D

djones

rollmao_zpsaw6ivql8.gif

that did it. i'm calling for an audit of all your kills for the past five years. i forecast fines, penalties and interest with possible jail time.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Way to let this one slide Lonepunman!!