Ultimate Hog Hunting Buggy

DerekFSU

Hello friends. New member from Florida. I have a polaris ranger that I'd like to outfit for pig hunting with a focus on doing so at night. I'd really appreciate your suggestions on what to include.

Thus far I'm planning to add:
bright LED light bar on the front of the metal roof
remote control go light spotlights on the front roof corners with IR filters to allow for better NV
no windshield so thermals cans be used for spotting
quieter muffler
gun racks
mounted weatherproof thermal camera & display

Thanks to Cliff at 3rd coast thermal, I have some awesome thermal gear. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just need someone to ride along!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the fray. Sound like you need a means of loading big/dead pigs w/o trashing your back.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You are good to GO!!! BANG BANG!!! You can get in touch with me just by a message for help with killin stuff!!:)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Where in FL?? Welcome

chthump

LSB Member
Sounds like you've got a great list for your buggy. I went the electric golf cart route for stealth, then kawasaki mule for more power, then gas golf cart for more power bug less noise than the mule. To me, its always a trade off, like which gun to carry. More range/knock down/or stealth, always a balance.
(golf carts lifted with mud tires).

More important, we need some pictures.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was going electric, then gas golf carts but ended up going the '89 trooper route...The fact it is street legal and I can go between the house and lease as well as thru the pine trees and off road sold it for me. The cost was the same or less and no trailer unless going a long way.

I need to get the light bars on it, got a hitch haul for loading game the other day, so that will make it much easier.

Attachments

• troopertrail.jpg
    troopertrail.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 13

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was going electric, then gas golf carts but ended up going the '89 trooper route...The fact it is street legal and I can go between the house and lease as well as thru the pine trees and off road sold it for me. The cost was the same or less and no trailer unless going a long way.

I need to get the light bars on it, got a hitch haul for loading game the other day, so that will make it much easier.
From piles of parts to road worthy rig now, huh? Congrats. Time to resurrect that thread and update it. Looking good.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, it has been at the shop 6 weeks and I have not had it out yet. Finally got the final part the gas filler hose from the neck to the tank(hardest part to find). So will be put on Monday.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A sippy-hole swimming swamp monster in no time.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Frank wow looks great and if I remember a great price. Nice jog fixing it up.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Derek, I don't think we actually gave you any advice...we turned it into a thread about Frank's rig...because we are cool like that. lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Derek, that is not far at all, you on a private lease over there? On your rig the bar lights front and back, with IR for night vision would be a must have for me. Add a second muffler or they have an ATV quiet suppressor thing for the muffler, the sound and smell of the gas units are what give you away.

DerekFSU

Nope, not far at all. Going to be on a lease and a friends private property. Plan to have IR filters on the go lights. Why on the back? Thanks.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have them on the back for when I am at the skinning rack cleaning animals as I always back in, also if I have to backup I want to see everything and I use them if I have to tow someone else out or for hooking up...never can have enough light

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Aaron had a buggy idea that stuck in my brain ... somehow mount a PTZ (pan tilt zoom) thermal on the roof of the buggy but bring the image into a viewer on the driver (or other occupant) head. This might not have to be one of the million dollar Sony PTZ units, but maybe a "red neck" PTZ mount for one of your "spare" thermals :)
By putting the thermal on the roof, you avoid the "glass" issue. And by having it PTZ you can scan 360 while in the vehicle. Having a second occupant "drive" the roof mounted thermal sounds safer than having the driver do it.
I'm not sure I can fill in all the details of how this is supposed to work, but everyone here should be smarter than moi about these things!!!