TX boys what's your lifetime thermal hog count?

LSB Active Member
last night i went back and did my best to tally up my hogs from when I picked up this thermal last may and just chuckled that some of your guys might do that in a month! what is your lifetime thermal total, how many years at it? i bet you just plum forget at some opint it's so many. north of 1000? keep after it!

last year was SO Much fun for me being a new thermaler. used june july august, we have to shut down the month before bow so no thermal sept/oct, snuck a few hunts in end of muzzleloader and then december a few more. january a lot of hogging plus rifle season ends this sunday gonna raise hell for about 5 weeks til spring turkey then we gotta shut down again for 5 weeks. i have zero desire to shoot at a deer again i just wanna smoke hogs and yotes trying hard to find land owners here who want some hog help coming up snake eyes so far. sent out letters and have business cards at the feed stores around the 2 counties.....death to hogs!

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My lifetime count is 33, but I’m not a good representative. I don’t have any dedicated property to hunt on and have to take what I can get. I have had a thermal for two years now and last year accounted for 21, and that was by mid July. I haven’t had a kill since then.

LSB Active Member
I'm about to join you on dedicated property sometime in the month of June I will be desperately seeking land to hunt

fanninland

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My counts a little north of 250. The first 50 or so was when I started with a PVS14, and the remainder with the Zeus the last couple years.

I don’t count them unless I can rest my 6.8 atop them and take a pic, so there are probably a hundred or so runoffs, unrecovered, or just didn’t want to go chase down etc. Also if I’m with a group I only count the ones I know I shot as opposed to counting the group total.

I’ve pretty much used 120gr SST during this period and the other day I counted up the empty Hornady boxes in my shop. Somewhere around 60 boxes so that’s approx 1200 rds or a little less than 5 rds/kill- yah you can shoot a lot when hog hunting esp if your an average shot at best like me. It would take me 6 lifetimes to shoot that much if deer hunting, so it’s no wonder I don’t really deer hunt anymore!

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I stopped counting over 2 years ago. I didn’t really see the point. Sometime I kill 1, 5 7, 11.

chthump

LSB Member
Me/my son shot 5 this evening, kinda guessing, around 150 over the last 4 or 5 year(probably killed 30-40 a year) yep 10 every 3 months sound about average, don't count, have photos/video of at least half or more, lots moreon this forum shoot way more, I'd love to hear from TLM on this, whats his total pig counter?

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Im in Texas but our property is in NW Louisiana. Since September, between me and a buddy or two, we have killed close to 200 hogs in the same 1000 acre cornfield. It seems to be slowing down now as I just got one last weekend and didn't see any two weeks before that. The other 3k acres I have access to was in beans and they're like kryptonite cause hardly ever see any pigs in there. :(

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I stopped counting a while back as well. The first 4 years I hunted I had a field that was MONEY but the last 3 have been much slower. I'd guess I'm in the ballpark of 600 or so

Tmm

LSB Member
Our goal is to kill 1000 this year. But that’s two shooters 3ish nights a week. We only count what we can confirm dead. We avg 15ish a night the last couple months. But we’re pretty fortunate we’ve got close to 20k acres we hunt spread out around us. Lots of it close to the river. Don’t think we’re the norm

LSB Active Member
Im in Texas but our property is in NW Louisiana. Since September, between me and a buddy or two, we have killed close to 200 hogs in the same 1000 acre cornfield. It seems to be slowing down now as I just got one last weekend and didn't see any two weeks before that. The other 3k acres I have access to was in beans and they're like kryptonite cause hardly ever see any pigs in there. :(

that is crazy! you def put a dent in the population in a hurry wow. our property is like that 5500 acres, but less than 1000 with consistent hogs on it. unfortunately after the last go around the loggers have left it mostly clear cut area with a few patches of woods. developer is in the final stages of purchasing the bottom half of the lease and the state already took about 1500 up north for a new road. sigh.

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We tried to add up the ones we had pictures of after kills and stuff. Im around 775-800 on just 3000 acres.
This is in MS.. Just reread the title it says TX... Close enough.

Last edited:

LSB Active Member
ha ha oh man that is sick! they are like a video game just reproducing faster than can kill them. kill 1, 2 dozen born the next week.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I' at 5,334 right now not counting the piglets or trapped hogs. Used to jeep my count going in my signature but there were a few guys out there that somehow magically kept their numbers about 100-300 above mine so I stopped showing it. Things have dramatically slowed down for me in the last few months because I'm taking people and not hunting by myself.

LSB Active Member
Um so I'm gonna guess that takes the cake on LSB by a large margin. That's crazy! I can't even wrap my head around that. Here is to another 5,334.....

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I' at 5,334 right now not counting the piglets or trapped hogs. Used to jeep my count going in my signature but there were a few guys out there that somehow magically kept their numbers about 100-300 above mine so I stopped showing it. Things have dramatically slowed down for me in the last few months because I'm taking people and not hunting by myself.

5334 hogs and 5351 Post... Your slacking..

Bama

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Alabama not Texas but here goes-
Killed 91 last year. 492 in total off 2100 acres in last 8 years. We were averaging about 30 to 40 a year shooting them under spin feeders slinging corn and some led light. We'd keep game camera's and get an idea of when they were showing up. Then go sit.
Did not get thermal scope until last Sept. That was a game changer! Stalk hunt is a blast! Much prefer that to sitting and waiting for them to show up. I think we'll kill well over 150 in 2018 on my place.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
2015 thermal kills. 28
2016 thermal kills. 75
2017 thermal kills 175
2018 thermal kills 11
total thermal kills 289.

Like fanninland above, I only count the ones I can rest my 6.8 on or take a pic of, so there are probably a hundred plus unrecovered, or just too lazy to go after them etc.... Also if I’m with a group I only count the ones I know I shot as opposed to counting the group total. Although if I remember I post the groups total on the hog count deal.

I got a few daytime kills with my M1A in them years as well but didn't add them to the total.

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Um so I'm gonna guess that takes the cake on LSB by a large margin. That's crazy! I can't even wrap my head around that. Here is to another 5,334.....

Even with TLM's talent for "One Shot One Kill", thats a lot of ammo/$'s.