Two Spotted Boars and a Coyote

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just received my Kopfjager Reaper Grip and SLIK tripod yesterday from Night Vision Outfitters (Myron Morrow) and just had to test it out last night. This thing is incredibly sturdy. Way more solid than I had expected it to be. Taking the rifle in and out really isn't difficult at all. Easy enough to do out in the field in the dark. While it is bulky and about twice the weight as my tripod trigger sticks, but it's just so stable to shoot from that I didn't mind carrying it. If you get the legs set to the height you want you just fold the legs in and put in on your shoulder.

We started by making a quick pass around the fields by my buddy's house where there usually isn't pigs but a pretty good chance for a dog. Lucky enough for us there was this big male mousing around in the wheat stubble. We were in my ranger running slow with my red lights on so he never noticed us. He was about 300 yards out when we saw him and turned on the foxpro to coax him in. Once he got to about 75 yards I took him. Bullet entered his shoulder and exited about midway back.

After that we made our way to where we usually find the hogs and happened to drive up on a group of about 15 that were just about to cross the road from the neighbors onto his place so we screwed that up. Luckily there was a lone boar out on his wheat feeding about 600 yards from us. We drove up to around 300 yards and walked in to about 75. Being such a calm night he somehow picked us off when we were already set up waiting for him to get out from behind a bush and started running off. When he stopped he was around 175-200 yards out and I hit him a tad far back. My gun is super dirty from me neglecting to clean it so it was short cycling every other shot so I was shooting a bolt action AR308 at this point. Got another round racked in and hit him on the run to finish him off.

Last but definitely not least, was this big guy. We actually shot this one just before the last boar but figured I'd save him for last. When we got out to walk to the other pig we turned behind us and saw this boar walk into the first wheat field we just drove across. He was working his way towards us so we went towards him. Got to about 100 yards then he started acting nervous so we took our shots. I didn't get the recorder turned on in time on him but we both connected with our shots making a good clean head shot for one and a double lung/heart shot for the other. He flopped over and hardly made a twitch.
For size reference that is a AR308 mag in his mouth, not a AR15. And that rifle has an 18" barrel with a 8" can on it. My best guestimate would put him around the 275 mark, give or take.
Trophy boar for sure, had some good age on him. Broke cutter and lots and lots of battle scars including ripped ears.
All in all I'm definitely loving the Reaper Grip even with the extra weight. If I have to go on a long stalk or through some tall stuff I'll likely take my trigger sticks. But for predator hunting, deer hunting, and short/easy stalks for hogs I'll grab the reaper.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome night of hunting there! That last one is huge!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
nice hogs and a good dog, well done!! I like the clamp, looks secure

D

djones

Very secure. That 308 weighs right around 11 pounds with the thermal and can on it. And it's sturdy enough where I can pick up the rest and walk with it over my shoulder and not worry about the gun slipping out.
i'd like to borrow that to clamp onto snake's temporal lobes.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Behave yourself Deeejay.
Good job Keaton. Nice quality looking pics.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A good mess of critterage down right there. Nice, big 'ol hog too. Congrats.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice two hogs and coyote down! Some nice equipment.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good stuff, thanks for the field report on the reaper. Now clean your rifle Keaton!:D

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good stuff, thanks for the field report on the reaper. Now clean your rifle Keaton!:D
Haha I did last night. Had a pretty ridiculous anmount of carbon. Probably need to open my gas block up another click though anyway.