Two corn hogs

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I had to send my thermal scope back last week for repair. The battery housing crapped out on me so I had to do the best I could without it tonight. I spotted a nice pack of hogs with my rooftop thermal as I rounded a bend at the edge of a cut corn field. They were only about a 100-150 yards away when they came into view. It had just become black dark when I found them.

I turned off the engine and grabbed my day-scoped 30 Herrett and my pocket flashlight and hoped for the best since I would need to hold the flashlight with the same hand I would be holding my rifle. About the time I got close enough that I could hear them, I could also faintly make out the black silhouettes just off the turn row. Now I knew where to look for them and quietly got my rifle and light into position and hit the thumb switch.

In the video right before I shoot, you can see one lie down on the ground. Watching from this perspective, it looks like I shot it right after it decided to take a nap. Had I seen this happen live with my thermal scope I most certainly would have chosen that one as my first target. The first one I saw when the light came one was the one lying down. When I shot, the sound sent the rest of them into orbit. I managed to get off a second shot through the cloud of gunsmoke that almost blocked my scope behind the light and connected with a second one before the rest escaped into the tall palmettos.

Here's where my luck gets even worse. I didn't know exactly how to do this with the flir vue, but somehow I recorded the whole event using the timelapse feature. The original video looks like it plays back in fast forward. Luckily the settings previously selected were such that I was able to edit the video using the YouTube editor, applying slow motion to the whole video so it is somewhat watchable.

I can't take credit for being an forward moonwalking expert. Haha.

image_zpszvs80hzb.jpeg

Last edited:

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great improv with the old school gear! I love my NV and thermal, but always keep the 30.06 and red light in the wagon...

Impressive footage as well - reminds me of Charlie Chaplin.

Last edited:

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Video looks great and good shootin. Id like to see the rooftop setup for the Vue. Been thinking of mounting one on my wheeler.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a cool perspective/technique. Two dead hogs makes it even sweeter!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's the best video ever...my wife and I were laughing so hard!

D

djones

i would vote for that as vid of the year. impressive setup. i would love something like that but it looks like it involves math.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hogs down! Floating through the fields!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Love the video! It looks like some kind of alien scifi movie.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nicely done. Btw How do u walk like that!?!? I bet your moonwalk game is on point!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome video! I wish I could walk like that. Must make for some quiet stalking.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang right that was SWEET! Not fair, I want a pair of hover skates! Yall talk about the boogie man.... THAT was the boogie man!