Tuning: Cam timing

Discussion in 'Archery' started by 437, Sep 5, 2017.

1. 437

437 LSB Active Member

You guys ever have to go this far to get your broadheads to behave? Dang if I can't get Magnus Stinger 2 blade to be better than 4" low and 2" left@20 after a paper tune. Having to do bizarre windage hold overs and below my 40 pin @ 30 yards. In the end I may just ditch the field point pin settings and shoot broadheads all the time in practice these come with a lifetime warranty Magnus rocks that way. Amazing how different bows have different temperaments the Stingers flew like a beauty on a Mathews Halon. Same DL, #, arrow/nock/insert/vanes. Head scratching. I wish it were a me problem like technique, grip or something, but far as we can tell nothing has changed in that respect just dif bow. Ahk.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  2. ZenArchery

ZenArchery LSB Active Member SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

I've never been a fan of tuning broadheads to fieldpoints. I get my broadheads to have no tears in papertuning and keep it set there.
    If my fieldpoints hit same the same point that's fine if not I'll purchase the exact same sight (yes it's stupid) for just my fieldpoints. Expensive yes but making sure my broadhead goes into the animal where I want it to go is more important.

3. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Yea I ended up ditching the field points all together and will just practice with my Stingers. Keep 3 sharp for hunting and use 3 for practice when too dull send back for warranty replacements. Reset my pins for broadheads last night.

4. Bocephus

Bocephus LSB Member

Once I started shooting a "speed" bow, I could never get fixed broadheads to tune. I practice way to much to not have my field points and broadheads not match. Tried all sorts of stuff, and finally broke down and went to a mechanical rage, and it hits the same hole as my field point every single time. I've never been a huge mechanical advocate, but these rages did work last year on the buck I took, and I know for sure they are flying where my sight is pointed.

5. 437

437 LSB Active Member

I ended up where you are just a different route. Just bought an extra set of Stingers 3 I use for practice and then 3 for killin. I don't sit in a spot and shoot a dozen anyway I like mixing up yardages every 3 and then seeing how good my eye calipers are after checking with rangefinder.

I've thought about mechs. What kind of retention system does the Rage use? I really like the deisgn of the Wasp Jak Knife super simple probably give those a rip at some point.

6. Bocephus

Bocephus LSB Member

The Rage uses this little plastic clip that the blades sit into. I was skeptical at first, but then realized I only have an arrow with a rage knocked up when I'm sitting in the stand, so not a lot of chances to bump it on brush or anything like that. I'm still in the hunt for a fixed blade that will fly like a field tip, but not sure I will ever get there. Once I hit that 300fps mark with my arrows, my muzzy's would look like I was drunk shooting them.

7. 437

437 LSB Active Member

That may be why I get good groups out of my Stingers as I'm at 420g total arrow weight 52# 29" I can't remember what my speed is maybe 265-270 if memory servs? It will get 'er dun though with pass throughs though we shoot super short here a long shot is 35 yards most inside 25.

8. Bocephus

Bocephus LSB Member

I started bow hunting for antelope a few years ago, and the need to be able to shoot to 100 yards was a reality, and that's when I found out that my fixed blades were not going to cut it.

9. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Holy wow that's a long way! I play around out to 60, but 50 is right where I lose my confidence to hit the vital zone on our sized whitetail so I cut myself off at 40 where I know it's in the money. Honestly my pins block out the entire vital zone by 55 yards and that's just not gonna inspire me to let one off the chain. I need to upgrade to one of those .010 pin setups.

10. Bocephus

Bocephus LSB Member

It is a long ways, and I never was able to shoot it until I got a single (vertical) pin sight, .19. I went with the Axcel Carbon Pro, and it makes shooting at that distance easy. I would never take a shot on a white tail that far, but I can tell you when you practice at 100, you can stack arrows at 50 yards with your eyes closed. Plus its fun!!! ha.

11. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Oh I agree it's just like stretching out with a rifle......when you move in it feels like cheating. I'm currently on a 10 year old Hoyt Katera with an equally old POS no name .029 5 pin. But alas it works in close so haven't felt a need to change, but would love to play at longer distances. Might put a .010 5 pin on once bow is over.

Have you had any close calls reaching down to dial a new yardage in on a deer/elk?

12. Bocephus

Bocephus LSB Member

So that's something I stressed over before going to a single pin. i can confidently tell you that is not an issue. Where I whitetail hunt, most my shots are 10-20 yards. So I will set the pin on 15 and call it good. It will be within a 1/4" one way or the other, which isn't an issue. When antelope hunting in the wide open spaces, there is never a point where I don't have time to range find first, then take 2 seconds to spin a dial. If its a longer white tail shot, I will range find it anyways, and make that adjustment.

I can tell you that is most people concern, and it really isn't one. My bow shots pretty flat, so I suppose if it didn't, that might be more of a concern of mine.

13. 437

437 LSB Active Member

I would have no issues since shots are so close, but that's great you have not had that issue. Now I'm looking forward to a nice thin single pin!

14. Bocephus

Bocephus LSB Member

Ha, not trying to sway you. I'm no sales rep. Shoot what works for you and puts deer or whatever on the ground! Our season opens up on Sunday, I can't wait.

Archery is such a fun, addicting, challenging sport.

15. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Not at all I've thought about it frequently b/c as we discussed before one of the aspects of shooting a rifle I enjoy most is stretching out. Now that our cows are shoved up north we can stretch our range out to a shade over 700 SO much fun. Bow is just an 'ain't broke don't fix' thing, but I'd love to shoot farther just for funsies my hunting distances are what they are. Any single pin sights you would aim me towards?

16. Bocephus

Bocephus LSB Member

Completely understand. So I'm a firm believer in "buy once cry once", so I would highly highly recommend the Axcel Accutouch Carbon pro with the dove tail. Its a little pricey, but you will not need to upgrade.

I got a new bow last year (Hoyt Nitrum Turbo), and decided to switch up my whole set up. Went to a carter thumb release, limb driver pro V rest, and the Axcel, and my shooting level went up leaps and bounds. I can group within a paper plate at 100-115 yards. Never in a million years prior to that, would I have every accomplished that. But that sight and set up has allowed it.

Also started watching a lot of the Cameron Haynes videos and watching him shoot **** at 180 yards, made me step up my game. He likes to practice at double the distance he will shoot an animal, and that's the mentality I went to. I got to the point last year were shooting at the same spot on the bag at under 50 yards was costly cause usually I ruined an arrow.

Not trying to brag, just trying to convey that good equipment changed my game. I also took the time to make sure my bow was shooting perfect through paper and whatnot.