Tripods etc....

Tmm

LSB Member
noticed quite a few high end shooting supports/rests. Couple questions ....
1. What's the advantage of using camera tripod over something like Primos shooting sticks? Seems like the wouldn't adjust as fast

2. Will any of the actual heads/grips fit on primos shooting sticks? That's what we've used and they're light and adjust height real fast. But I do see a more solid rest as and advantage, especially if it will hold the rifle in place. So was thinking maybe upgrade if possible??

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I use both the shooting sticks and the tripods ...

The advantage of the shooting sticks is they are lighter, handier ... so easier to be mobile with, if your hunting practice involves a fair amount of foot movement.

The advantage of the camera tripods is they are more of a solid rest. But they are heavier, bulkier, take MUCH longer to set up ... and hence are better used for when you setup in a spot and wait for or call in the critters.

The interfaces/heads/grips I use for the camera tripods (I use manfrotto) are designed to fit together ... only at the head level could you mount to like a primos shooting stick. I have not tried it. The combined weight of the head, mount and interface would be such that I think it would overload the trigger sticks (I use primos).

pic of a pair of manfrotto's with a 6.5g(18) SLR and a .300WM(24) bolt gun on top.

e0bhTBJh.jpg

==
pic of a 3 legged primos trigger stick with a .22lr with an Apollo on top ...

B88ztZrh.jpg

The advantage of the 3 legged trigger stick is it provides more stability than the one legged or than standing unsupported. But it s bit less handi than the 1 legged and a bit more difficult to do a 360 on due to needing to step over the legs.

==
For most foot patrols these days, I either go with the 1 legged primos stick or nothing ... but then I'm mostly shooting under 100yds.

==
I've messed up two of the 3 legged primos trigger sticks, I guess I was too rough on them. I have one working 3 legged and one working 1 legged and I only use them for hunting now and they have both held up for over a year.

So, each device has strengths and weaknesses and I try to pick the right tool for the job.
:)

Last edited:

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
And yes, the trigger sticks are very easy to adjust with one hand ... up down, left, right, etc. One hand on the trigger stick, one hand on the rifle. For the tripod, you have to flip open the levers slide up down and relock the levers and do for each leg as required. Much longer noiser process.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Did you happen to see the thread I posted today in the hunting stories? I kinda explained the difference to me between the two.
With the camera tripod setup, I use the kopfjager reaper rest. Its a rest made for shooting vs. a camera head and then a gun mount on it. Although the manfrotto heads and tripods are amazing. I just preferred the reaper and the way it grips the rifle over the others, like the hog saddle.
To me the tripod is pretty heavy and bulky. But I didn't have too hard of a time carrying it and my AR308 for about 300 yards to stalk on a boar. If its thicker brush to walk through or going to be a long walk I'll just take my tripod trigger sticks. And the trigger sticks aren't strong enough to hold the weight of the rifle mounts and the rifle.
I just set my tripod to the height I wanted it and then folded the legs in. That way I just carry it over my shoulder and then when I get close to the pigs where I'm going to shoot I just deploy the legs out. Takes about the same time as folding out the legs on the trigger sticks. Since the gun is pretty locked in its very easy to pan up and down or left and right making it easy to adjust for elevation changes and what not. Also super easy to track moving targets or clear a malfunction.

Get both!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think the short answer is that primos trigger sticks are lighter and faster. The other ones are more stable/solid. I think** I haven't used the latter. The trigger sticks work perfect for me. I rarely shoot past 175 yards though

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use a manfrotto with a joy stick and a hog saddle on top. Holds my .308 solid as a rock. I also have a Primos trigger stick (tripod) for when I need to reposition quickly. Planning to try the manfrotto setup while stalking to see how much of a PIA that's going to be but I've moved it around without too much trouble before. If the ground is fairly level you don't have to readjust much.

My vote is have both types and use the best one for the situation. Besides, any excuse to get more gear is a good excuse....

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wiggy what are you using to connect the gun to the tripod, does not look like the clamp style

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Keaton, I was thinking that, much less expensive than the over priced clamps we are seeing

LSB Active Member
I've been thinking on this quite a bit and tried a loaner sitting bipod. Didn't swivel so no bueno, but I liked the feel and stability of beign on the ground. I wear waterproof bibs so not worried about wet ground Then I tried a poor mans version of this on the fly with 1/2" dowels and some paracord felt just as good maybe better than my old standing camera tripod, but so much easier to tote. My camera tripod might work if the truck is close, but dang I ain't lugging that beast around all night. For $2 and light weight this is how I'm going at the moment.

In case anyone is interested this is the DIY design I think I'm going to roll with. Probably make a sit one and a standing one and keep them in the truck.....grab for the task.

Make Your Own Adjustable Shooting Sticks For Less Than $10 [PICS]

Rifle-bipod-shooting-downhill-sitting-SPX_tr.jpg

Last edited:

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Wiggy what are you using to connect the gun to the tripod, does not look like the clamp style

McRee Precision "interface" ... list price $130

14822632982391274223487.jpeg

For the three guns that are usually fired off tripods (.300WM(24), 6.5g(18), 5.56(18)) all three have one of those "interfaces" permanently attached. For other guns, like carbines, I use the PIG saddles for zeroing and such.

McRee's Precision Tripod Adapter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah I am an old man, I need to stay standing, as I might not be able to get back up...lol

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
UDlsYAtl.jpg

1. Advantage - very stable system. I can attest my shooting accuracy has increased expedentially since I've started using this system. (Disadvantage costly and can be heavy)
2. Yes, Primos uses a standard 1/4" screw and the HOG Saddle will fit.

LSB Active Member
yeah I am an old man, I need to stay standing, as I might not be able to get back up...lol
I hear ya. And I may very well find out it doesn't track well once they start to run.....just gotta see what works and earn my stripes at night. I could very well end up with a standing setup I already have the tripod and I can shoot ok off it, but dern.....hope it's not far from the truck!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is why I have the trigger stick tripod, nice and light and I want but do not need a clamp

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Keaton, I was thinking that, much less expensive than the over priced clamps we are seeing
Those pic rail mounts are still around $100. And they're made for manfrotto heads. A cheap manfrotto head is around $80-$100 and those will weigh 1.5-2 pounds. The magnesium light weight ones they have are in the $150 area. Then you still need a manfrotto tripod to go with it and that'll be another $200 ish for a good one that'll take the weight of a rifle. So you're looking at $350-$400 for a decent to good manfrotto tripod and head. Then you'd still need the pic rail mounts so all in all it's around $500. Then you'd need a QD plate for each rifle you plan on using on it unless you wanna swap them out.
But what I don't particularly like about the rifle being mounted on the tripod by a pic rail attachment is that all that stress from holding the rifle up is put on the rail. And my keymod slots don't start until about 3" up on the bottom of my hamdguard so that's putting the weight further up vs. having it close to the center of gravity. My AR308 weighs 11 pounds with scope and can on it. That's a lot of torque to one spot on the handguard.
Now that's why I prefer the grip type mounts like hog saddle or reaper. The two reasons I chose reaper grip was for the fact that it isn't a parallel type grip. Meaning the pressure forms around the gun and grips it more like a hand would. Vs the hog saddle being more like a vise where it's squeezing two points.
Second reason is the the hog saddle was $300 just for the mount. Then you still need a good tripod and head so there's another $300-400.

Now I do believe you can buy just the reaper grip grip part. So you can put it on your own tripod head if you don't like there's or already have a good one.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do already have a Manfrotto tripod and head I never use. I agree with you about adding weight to my rifles.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do already have a Manfrotto tripod and head I never use. I agree with you about adding weight to my rifles.
Is it a pretty sturdy one? Mine is rated for around 20 pounds I believe. You just need to get the reaper grip grip only part for $150 or the hog saddle for $300. They also have a cheaper version of the hog saddle called pig saddle. I think its around $175..can't remember.

I plan on using this tripod for predator hunting and also for deer hunting. I believe I can set it up in the blind to help inexperienced shooters.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I have padded rails on all my blinds and setups so I do not need a clamp for walking around and shooting. I am cheap and will pass for now, The trigger stick tripod is just so much lighter . Can't see the model but the manfrotto head has that big fat handle on it

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I have padded rails on all my blinds and setups so I do not need a clamp for walking around and shooting. I am cheap and will pass for now, The trigger stick tripod is just so much lighter . Can't see the model but the manfrotto head has that big fat handle on it
Manfrotto is probably the joystick ball head.
I understand what you are meaning though. It's definitely not for everyone. I really enjoy it for target shooting for moderate to long range. And zeroing in guns since it holds it so steady so you can shoot standing and adjust the scope easier.

As far as using it in blinds I'm hunting out of fiberglass blinds so I don't have issues shooting or most guys that hunt with me. But I do take a lot of kids hunting that aren't real familiar with shooting. While they do well off a bench it's a lot different out of a blind for small kids to get a solid rest and have a proper cheek weld on the rifle to make a solid shot. Often I end up setting a pop up blind 50-75 yards from a feeder for kids. This will help a lot with that.