Tripod or bipod

txhunter

What are most using for a rest when walking up on pigs in open fields, tripod or bipod? Any recommendations on a specific one?

Also, what color clothing is best at night, just any dark clothing or have you found it matters much. I have had some pigs spook and not sure why but I had the wind right.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Most of the ones videoing their hunts seem to be using the Primos trigger stick tri-pod. Any camo you'd wear during the day should be fine in the dark.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If you don't have any camo or its all too heavy for the summer, any dark clothing will work. Pigs see about as well as people at night, so if you can see someone in light colored clothes, so can they.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ninja

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you don't have any camo or its all too heavy for the summer, any dark clothing will work. Pigs see about as well as people at night, so if you can see someone in light colored clothes, so can they.

Actually light green olive drab or any light cammo works best. The reason hogs are easy to spot is because they are black and stand out very well.

I use the primos tall trigger sticks tripod. It has spoiled me.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I use the bog pog tripod and happen to have a "pig saddle" on the end. The pig saddle is more of a convenience to me just to help hold the rifle up when I need to be on the stick for an extended period of time. Certainly not a requirement. The only time I actually clamp the saddle to the rifle is when I am going to be stationary for an extended period of time. Like on a coyote sit or hunting from a shoot house over a corn feeder where I'm not likely to need full range of motion.

Honesty, I've never given much consideration to the color of my clothing at night. I tend to wear medium colored clothes and normally wear whatever I happen to have on at the time.

While standing, I don't find the pig saddle to be any more stable than using the same tripod without it. It's not like you've nestled into a padded bench rest situation. And also while standing, I personally don't find the tripod to be anymore stable for me personally than a bipod. I do however like to be able to let go of the gun and know that it's not going anywhere when it's clamped into the saddle.

From a seated position I personally think the tripod or bipod are both rocksolid.

Last edited:

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another vote for the primos tall trigger sticks tripod, super quick to set up and very stable.

txhunter

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like the Primos is the way to go.

For short stalks, with the Primos can you carry the tripod with the legs somewhat locked in the already folded out position (at height for shooting standing up)? This way when you get to where you are shooting you could just set it down, rest and shoot with less movement and possible noise of folding the legs out. I may be overthinking it but was just curious.

I read online about the Manfrotto with hog saddle. I assume that both the added weight and cost of this high end tripod are negatives over the Primos for pig hunting.

Thanks again for all the info.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm not sure I recognize the benefits of the manfrotto head. My pig saddle has enough flex in it to allow me to look up and down. I'm sure the range of motion would be much better with the manfrotto, but in my area (mostly flat) I've never felt like I was missing anything.

The tripod I'm using, just like the primos already allows for left to right "panning".

I just wanted to toss out the idea of the hog/pig saddle. Not necessary but nice when stationary for extended periods of time. Most of my shooting is actually done without even having the rifle clamped into the saddle.

I like my buddies primos trigger bi-pod. It's too bad this topic didn't come up about three weeks ago. I had to replace my bogpog tri-pod recently and would have gotten the primos tri-pod instead.

I'm embarrassed that I'm not more informed of primos products than I am. Their shop is about 15 minutes from my house.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like the Primos is the way to go.

For short stalks, with the Primos can you carry the tripod with the legs somewhat locked in the already folded out position (at height for shooting standing up)? This way when you get to where you are shooting you could just set it down, rest and shoot with less movement and possible noise of folding the legs out. I may be overthinking it but was just curious.

I read online about the Manfrotto with hog saddle. I assume that both the added weight and cost of this high end tripod are negatives over the Primos for pig hunting.

Thanks again for all the info.

When I spot a group and make the stalk I extend the legs to max then carry them together to much for them to hit and make noise spread out. When I get to a shooting position I have my rifle slung and use my feet to spread the tripod and set the desired height. I just use the Y head that comes with it do not need any weight and I am mobile not sitting in positions for more than 30 min max.

Im assuming you have seen this but just in case.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

A buddy of mine has the Manfrotto setup. It is heavier and more expensive. On his, you have the button on each leg that you press and it slides to the next hole to lock in extended position, also a negative. So when he carries it, he carries it extended, another negative especially when stalking. The huge benefit is that once set up, it is a really stable platform. It is so stable that he can clamp in his rifle and walk away and his rifle will remain on the tripod, freeing him to scan, check gear, or whatever, but still noiselessly keeping the rifle ready.

If I had a big ranch and was shooting off my back porch, if maybe I drove around to hunt instead of food stalking and stand hunting, or if I had an assistant to carry my gear, the Manfrotto would be the way to go, but I don't

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If anyone is wondering. You don't need the expensive manfrotto ball head to use the hog or less expensive pig saddle. I just removed the yolk that came on my bogpog and screwed the pig saddle directly in its place.

I carry my bogpog fully extended but with the legs compressed together and can deploy it silently in just a matter of seconds. The pig saddle adds weight, but it doesn't bother me and can be carried easily.

I personally like to "clamp" my rifle in place for stationary coyote calling. My bogpog is and I'm sure the primos tripod would be stable enough to support the rifle on its own.

But for stalking, I don't take the time to clamp. I just leave it open enough to quickly drop the rifle in place for my shot.