Trijicon.... Or wait for Armasight?

Bocephus

LSB Member
Looking to upgrade my thermal one of these days.

Curious what all your thoughts are on waiting to see what the new 640 Armasights will be like, or is the Trijicon the way to go?

Seems a lot of people are saying the extra few G's for the Trijicon are not worth it over the Pulsars?

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I haven't handled the new pulsars, but I think I could hammer nails with my reap-ir. Any $2000 plus scope should be able to handle a fall. What is the new pulsars housing made out of? Who handles repair or service?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Until Trij adjusts their prices and comes out with something new, then head over to pulsar or wait for the best core and FLIR/Armasight..today the only choice is Pulsar

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I haven't handled the new pulsars, but I think I could hammer nails with my reap-ir. Any $2000 plus scope should be able to handle a fall. What is the new pulsars housing made out of? Who handles repair or service?

Pulsars have a polymer housing and have a very good reputation for being durable. Service is handled by Sellmark (the importer) out of Mansfield there next to Ft. Worth. They have absolutely the best customer service going.

With that said, the Pulsars are not the top gear going, but they are very functional and will get the job done, no problem at all.

------

Bocephus, if you are in a hurry, then get the Trijicon. If you can wait a bit, then wait to see what FLIR has to offer before deciding.

There is always something new around the corner, so if you aren't careful, you can spend your whole life waiting on the next best thing. After all when you think about it. Shortly after FLIR will have their new offerings, the Shot Show will be coming around and manufacturers will be introducing their new products and if there is something interesting coming out, you will then have to wait the additional time for it as well. In the end, it gets to be a vicious circle. I know guys who have never purchased, waiting on what is coming out next, being afraid that their gear will be "obsolete" and they they won't be fielding the best thing out there.

The problem that I see when it comes to comparing scopes between brands is that the process is not often straight forward. While all the scopes see thermal, they have different firmware, different controls, different ergonomics, and different features. It can make things rather confusing.

Figure out what you want from a scope relative to how you hunt and your budget. Shop for models that will fill you need. Set a time limit on the shopping process, make a decision, by a scope from a reputable vendor, hunt, be happy.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Until Trij adjusts their prices and comes out with something new, then head over to pulsar or wait for the best core and FLIR/Armasight..today the only choice is Pulsar

I have a pulsar scanner and it feels like a cheaply made Chinese product. It doesn't compare in that regard to any Armasight or Trijicon product I've used or handled. To each his own.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You must have one of the Quantums. That has been the sentiment expressed by many, but also the performance given the cost has been well heralded. The new Helions are made like the Trails and feel much more solid.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well that may be true and in combat that may be an issue, most people do not need the hardened case or the mil spec qualities. For the price and what a hog hunter uses it for the Pulsar has you covered. Now when FLIR has their new line all out there may be some competition, quality and a fair price all in one. To me trij by raising the IR Defense price without any improvement or innovation added is anti Customer and unless you get them free or just like to spend $ with a company that could care less about you, well you know..saying all that they are a Fine piece of equipment... I know the dealers, fan boys and company reps will have a different take so just one mans opinion and the way I roll.

LSB Active Member
Looking to upgrade my thermal one of these days.

Curious what all your thoughts are on waiting to see what the new 640 Armasights will be like, or is the Trijicon the way to go?

Seems a lot of people are saying the extra few G's for the Trijicon are not worth it over the Pulsars?

I have fresh anecdotal analysis I can pass on to you. One of my buddies on the fence with thermal is starting to get closer to a purchase having had a chance to hunt a *toyota* and a *lexus*. He got a chance to hunt one of the new Triji's up in GA recently and is a former NV guy and currently has nothing. He said the Triji is stupid crazy crisp and just unreal to use, but for the money(which he can afford no problemo) he can't find a reason to buy it for our type of hunting. On the flip side he has 2 kids and they are dying for him to 'show us video of your hunts daddy!'. So he is leaning on the Trail XQ for about 3200 I think it was? He is in the tech industry and the warranty service reputation of Pulsar is attractive to him and while he doesn't want to mess with video it probably buys him more hunting/kitchen passes to get videos of kills for the kids who are not yet old enough to hunt. If it's just for him he gets the RXQ in a blink. He doesn't feel the Triji benefits don't do anything for him over and RXQ when our average shot is well under 100 yards with thermal. I walked up on 3 of them last night to exactly 28 paces after I shot I walked it off. Wearing sweaty jeans I'd had on all day and a sweaty t-shirt they are idiots at night around us. He LOVES the green of the RXQ said his eyes had trouble adjusting after a couple of hours with the Triji. I think he will have the same issue with the Trail, but it's not like he can't live with it.

There is a threshold where you can ask yourself 'can I kill hogs effectively with X' and I think for us the RXQ does that and more, but no video. Anything more is certainly an upgrade over the RXQ, but it wouldn't help me kill any more hogs on our property.

Last edited:

Bocephus

LSB Member
Appreciate the insight and input fellas. I'm not in a hurry right now, so waiting isn't an issue. But I completely understand the logic of waiting in the trap for the next big thing. I currently have an ATN Thor, and its dropped a lot of hogs. I know, I know, ATN is like a curse word here, lol. Prior to that, I had the Zeus 336. Absolute biggest issue I had with my Zeus was hunting in zero degree temps in the winter here, the batteries would last me 20-30 minutes if I was lucky. From there I found a good deal on a Thor from a buddy, and made the leap into 640 core land. I also have the extended battery that allows me to hunt for days...... But like all things, I want to upgrade again to a better model. I would like my next purchase to be one that has me satisfied for years (not sure if that's possible, but would like to try).

With that said, a few things are important to my nest purchase. I like recording hunts, and I need battery life, or at least the ability for adding a battery pack into the mix. I realize Trijicon would have to be external for recording, but I'm ok with that.

Next question is, do dealers have trade in programs? I would I get raked over the coals trying to trade my unit in? Fully understanding that as more units and technology come out, the price of current and or used thermals will keep dropping.

Thanks.

D

djones

i've been working with brian for quite a while now, showing him a few things about video production and articulating his thoughts. i think i've finally helped him develop a succinct way of getting his point across. go back up and read his post, then read it again, then go buy a trij

Last edited by a moderator:

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Toyota and Lexus built by the same outfit, but the thermals aren't. I am slow was that your point? Just an FYI. BANG BANG!!

Last edited:

LSB Active Member
Toyota and Lexus built by the same outfit, but the thermals aren't. I am slow was that your point? Just an FYI. BANG BANG!!
Not really. Just that the RXQ is a nice enough thermal like most Toyotas(I own a 4runner). The Trji is a freaking loaded Lex SUV.....top of the food chain.

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Appreciate the insight and input fellas. I'm not in a hurry right now, so waiting isn't an issue. But I completely understand the logic of waiting in the trap for the next big thing. I currently have an ATN Thor, and its dropped a lot of hogs. I know, I know, ATN is like a curse word here, lol. Prior to that, I had the Zeus 336. Absolute biggest issue I had with my Zeus was hunting in zero degree temps in the winter here, the batteries would last me 20-30 minutes if I was lucky. From there I found a good deal on a Thor from a buddy, and made the leap into 640 core land. I also have the extended battery that allows me to hunt for days...... But like all things, I want to upgrade again to a better model. I would like my next purchase to be one that has me satisfied for years (not sure if that's possible, but would like to try).

With that said, a few things are important to my nest purchase. I like recording hunts, and I need battery life, or at least the ability for adding a battery pack into the mix. I realize Trijicon would have to be external for recording, but I'm ok with that.

Next question is, do dealers have trade in programs? I would I get raked over the coals trying to trade my unit in? Fully understanding that as more units and technology come out, the price of current and or used thermals will keep dropping.

Thanks.
I feel your pain... I'm hunting with an old Thor myself and I'm kinda thinking upgrade even though I haven't had any trouble with the thing in three years, it's just the picture is so much better in all this new stuff! lol I find myself waiting on the Flir for some reason even though the picture in the Trij looks like the best tv money can buy and the Pulsar is nearly as good and their customer service is indeed off the charts! I just can't turn loose of that much money for the Trij and not sure what my deal is on the Pulsar, but I can't seem to do that either even though it does combine all the best features from everything else out there lol

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Come Dubbs, its only money. Give me your credit card number and I will order it for you. I just did that for another friend and found out I am really good at spending other people's money.

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
why sure, go ahead and pick out a nice one for yourself while you're at it! lol

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Trijicon is pretty much the top daddy right now. Built like a tank and image quality is awesome. Pulsar isn't far behind for the money. Also, be on the lookout for used IRD / Trijicon to save some money. I have a couple used ones on hand presently. From my understanding, it'll likely be next spring before we see 640 in the new FLIR Boson.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Trijicon is pretty much the top daddy right now. Built like a tank and image quality is awesome. Pulsar isn't far behind for the money. Also, be on the lookout for used IRD / Trijicon to save some money. I have a couple used ones on hand presently. From my understanding, it'll likely be next spring before we see 640 in the new FLIR Boson.

+1
Best image currently = Trijicon
Plenty of good units 1800-9500 price range , all will do the job.
Each time I look thru my mkiii 60mm brings a smile to my face, damm the clarity is amazing.
Cost is not amazing, you could buy a $2k thermal and a badboy buggy for what the mkiii 60mm costs. But I wouldn't trade you mine for that setup.:D