Trigger Tweak

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Another trigger I decided to try (a few years ago, for my 6.8 pistol) is the Spikes Tactical "Battle Trigger". NiB coated, single stage mil-spec type. Rated for 5-9lbs. of pull.

Mine came with a nasty gritty spot in it. The disconnect has casting marks all over it that were also just coated over with the NiB. Two (never replied to) emails into Spikes (to be fair, during the last panic time) later, I gave up and have just lived with it... until today.

Pulled the FCG out of my pistol and wandered into the basement. NiB coating be damned, time to tinker. With a very stiff putty knife as a backer, I started with 400 grit wet/dry. Machining marks on the trigger's surface (engaging the sear) removed. The round head for the hammer polished up (on a buffing wheel), and some light working with the backer/400 on the sear surface. Yes, a lot of care to maintain the geometry and sharp edges. I also did a bit of work on the disconnect. Next up was to work the same spots over with 1000 grit wet/dry.

FCG reassembled, but with a JP yellow spring kit. The nasty grit spot is gone, the creep which was in it is nearly gone too. It's a nice feeling trigger now. Don't have a scale to measure it. Safety/function check passes muster after going back together.

It would appear that this is nothing more than a mil-spec trigger that is a single stage. The machining marks have not been removed prior to the NiB coating being applied. Slap some grease on it, and it's supposed to make all the difference in the world. For this, Spikes gets $60. For those of us who are single stage fans, the little bit of work I put on mine has netted me a nice trigger on the cheap.

It's not as good as my Mega Billet trigger on my carbine, nor is it as nice as the Wilson TTU waiting to go into another build I have, but this ain't bad now.