Tried my New 6.8 Federal 115 Fusion and 90 GD at the Range

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very interesting day at the range. Took my Hog Slayer 8.5 pistol that I had dialed in for 50 yds and SSA Barnes 110TSX, has a 4x32 shotgun scope on it.
Fired first w the 110TSX, then my Hornady 120SST, went to the Fusion 115 and then the 90 GD at 50 yds, all 4 rds in the 1 1/2" orange dot??? What is that?? I really thought the 90 GD might be 2" high even at that distance. Why did I pay for range time??? LOL

OK so then I pulled the *** 16" scout out and it is sighted in at 100 w the 120SST, Fire the 120 first then the other 3 and as expected I am an inch to 1 1/2" high at 50yds all the rounds right in there, 3-9x40 Redfield on this one.

Off to the rifle range and 100yds and started w the pistola, the 4x32 does not make it easy to see for me at 100 but all the different rds were in the dot or just on top of it 1 1/2"MOA but the Federal 90 GD was dead center..OK, that is my GOTO RD for this.

Next did the same thing with my rifle and dead center for it was the 115 Fusion, remember this was sighted in for the 120 SST Hornady, all the ammo loads were in the 1 1/2" dot or cutting the edges, including the old last 3 rds of the remington crap ammo I had left.

So bottom line I was surprised i did not have to adjust either scope and have a variety of loads, bullet construction and weights to choose from all shooting pretty much the same POI. I really expected to have to change the scope. Great shooting fun with my 6.8's around 40 rds down range and confirmed my POI.

I also stopped by a Fishing Buddies house, he builds rods for Competitive Fishermen and he gave me a rod butt end they use for fighting fish. Thanks Jeff!

This one is called the BUTT HEAD and I found on the net the Hammer Head butt Cushion, as opposed to the tennis ball I had on the butt of my Pistol. This actually extend the length about 1 1/2-2"..PERFECT The letter from the ATF say you can put a cane tip or chair leg protective cap/cup on your pistol so this is doing the same thing. This way if I drop or bump my weapon the cushion on the end will protect it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah I went out with a bunch of ammo and time then it was all over so quickly I was out of there and home again, really surprised!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Once the release the 115's and 120's for reloaders I will try these out! Thanks for making me want a pistol now Frank sigh..........

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have not had the rifle at the lease since I got the pistol, too easy to carry. I think for deer season I will carry the rifle. I bet roll your own and testing loads you can get them better than they are.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If I can hit M.O.P. minute of pig, and it anchors them. Then I'm a very happy camper!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah,we will find out, I still nave 300, 120 SST, 200, barnes 110 TSX and all these new Federal, about 1000 rds total

Soonlobo

LSB Member
Glad to hear Frank!

I've got 100 of the Federal 6.8 90 gr's just trying to find the time to shoot them!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
16" barrel gel test 14" penetration @ 25yds a 90g bullet.

From .277 to nearly .800" with uniform expansion...

I am so looking forward to the first hog with them!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes Im going to experiment when they release them for reloaders!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You may need a box or 2 of mine and dismantle them to try, I don't think you will see just the bullets anytime soon. I bet you can really make them faster and maybe more effective.

Soonlobo

LSB Member
Definitely want to see some of those bullets on the market!

I've got plenty of 6.8 brass now, want to get my hands on those GD's!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't know what GR's the GD are going to be made in the Fusion has 115 and 120gr but the GD is a different construction even though they look the same...at least that is my understanding.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice to hear that a variety of pills give the same POI for this barrel.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
RD, I have never seen anything like it but nice to know anything I pickup is on at 40-125yds. I am keeping the 90 GD in the mags now and the 115 Fusion for my rifle. I think the speed of the 90 GD helps out of the 8.5" barrel.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter

What grip do you have on that?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yours, CAA GRIP