Tough week, couple of hogs

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
The lease owner has been bringing in paid hogs hunters almost every weekend and sometimes during the week making the hogs almost non-existent and scarce. While I was hunting, there was 9 hunters for 3 of the 5 days I hunted.

So on this first boar, I found out that changing my powder charge by .5 grain 'probably' resulted in some poor impacts. I was at max pressure, actually too much as the primers were completely flattened and sometimes getting pierced primers, so I backed off by .5 grain which resulted in much better looking primers. I wouldn't have thought that the .5 grain change would have resulted in the difference, but as you'll see in the slow motion of this first hog, the crosshairs should have blow the back of his head off or close to it, but the impact was 2" low and there was no room for error with the angle and the shot placement. Should have been a little higher on the first shot, but if impacted where I aimed, should have dropped.

This boar was 120 pounds, I forgot take pictures, but I did a complete skinning and autopsy of this hog, the second shot entered behind the ribs and in to the chest cavity completely exploding everything with the 120 SST's out of my 12.5" 6.8 and the hog still ran 30 yards. First shot at 70 yards, second at about 85 yards:

Then, the last night there, I finally did it, I forgot to hit record. I was going to pull a Brian and just whack the hog instead of getting some video footage. The shot was like Brian's last video, quartered towards me, boom, hog starts running, but angled in my direction. First shot low again, dropped with second shot high in the back part of the neck.

This boar was 39" taped, around 190 pounds and had hair like a mammoth. Ugly beast for sure. When I walked over to find the hog, wasn't where I thought, It was thick stuff and I could hear it, I said screw that, went and got the ATV and drove in there with it working my way through it, finally found the boar, not with the thermal, but with the lights of the ATV as it was down in a depression.

This is the Armasight Zeus, 3x, 640 scope. Should have backed up a few more steps to get perfect focus, but oh well. First finish shot was 'black hot', second was 'white hot'.

159204146.jpg

Last edited:

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
oops, Bills going to kill me lol, spelled Wilson wrong in the second video

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ha! You are too funny. "...pull a Brian" means something different at my house. Yeah, sometimes you just got to whack'em when you can...and I really hate the idea of losing a hog or coyote because of fumbling around trying to record. After it happens a couple of times, you get angry and hunting should be fun!

Wow, I can't believe that first shot missed. Excellent job on the followup shot! Both hogs are good! I would say you had a productive week despite things being tough.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got the job done, that's the main thing. Congrats on 'em.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome vid. It's amazing how the smallest modification to loads can jack things up.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice going!! you were not kidding about that HAIRY hog fo sure. Nice hogs. BANG BANG!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fun! Good job.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Awesome vid. It's amazing how the smallest modification to loads can jack things up.

I wouldn't think .5 gr would make much of a difference, I believe because I was high on pressure, and watching that video in slow motion, I was a little low to start with, so when you combine that with a couple inches low, bad shot placement...

I still have the head of the boar hanging in a basket at the lease, the lease owner wants skulls, but the shot was in the meat area, weird thing is looking at the shot, you would have though I would have at least blew out the jaw on the other side, but it wasn't.

I can say this, that second boar, with my MS legs there is no running from a charge, or jumping, or anything, the ATV sure came in handy lol, and if I couldn't have gotten the ATV to where the hog was, he would have rested in peace where he was lol.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
notice something else, guess I need to fix the date, it goes backwards day/month/year, but showing August....probably just turn it off

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice shooting/adjustment on the running hog. You might want to take the post of the second one off before game wardens see it, I am pretty sure the season is closed on woolly mammoths.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great anticipation, swing and quick trigger on that second shot!