Top 3 Thermal Scopes

darrohn801

LSB Member
Trijicon (IR defense) has the smallest micron so I would find it hard to beat them at this point? I have an IR Patrol and Reap IR and I would find it tough to beat their clarity. That being said the Boson core coming out I'm sure it will be given a run for its money. One thing to determine to is what distance you want to shoot at. Something like a 100mm Armasight is going to give you some pretty good images but really limit your field of view. In my opinion this "debate" is going to be heavily shaken up within the next year or so as FlIR/Armasight release their new line.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
it will only shake things up if the price structure is more than competitive. Right now it is not. the manufactures have had their best years for the past several years as a result of continuing military contracts, but as those wars wind down so will the money for the research. neither thermal or NV would be anywhere close to what it is if it were not for gov money to push research. What you see in the civilian world is nothing compared to what is available elsewhere.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ah yes, there is always something better that is supposed to be coming out, so if you just wait until next year, there will be something better. When next year comes around, guess what, something better is coming out next year.

Top 3? In what regard? Weight, magnification, resolution, ergonomics, easiest to learn, size, or what? More importantly, what is best will depend on your needs.

znztivguy

LSB Member
For me the top 3 would be
1.KRATOS
2.UTC-Xii
3.UTM-X
4.Trijicon REAP IR
5, LWTS

The military based Thermal optics...are just hardier, refresh faster have vis/ir lasers..built tough with alloys not plastic, using mature tech ever since 2009.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
only problem is, you cannot legally get them and if you could the cost would be out of sight. As an example LWTS has had a model out that has higher power and it is about half the size. This particular model has been out for several years .

D

djones

i must be missing something with the zeus pro line. lots of cool features, but i didn't want to pay for recoil rating up to 50 bmg, waterproof down to 20,000 leagues, compass, bayonet attachment etc...

granted my zeus has been in the shop twice in about a year, but i don't know if it's a matter of not being as robust as the pro line??

ir hunter models are nice. unfortunately, my reapir is at the shop now for pixel repair. funny thing is i never had any problem with my trusty old d740 nv scope. stick a chip in a scope and everything falls apart.

i hope to have a mk3 soon. i think that is the best scope you can get for under $10,000. i define best as giving me the ability to kick pigbutt

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Everybody thinks the LWTS is sexy, but everybody I know that has purchased one either has sold them off for something more practical, or just have it in the safe and use something more practical.

AKay

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got a LWTS about two years ago and I love it. As long you set your day scope up correctly, it can be put in front of any of your scopes. I just had ADM make me a better quick disconnect base. Much nicer and easier on your picatinny rail.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Depends on the use but for hog hunting ... lots of good choices these days! Gets better year by year.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have been EXTREMELY happy with the ATN ThOR that I have had(and well used) for the last 4+ years. It has hundreds of hours on it now and has never failed me.
BUT - - -> with all the new technology coming out,my old unit is really outdated. Problem is for me,I am looking for a unit that DOES NOT do all the stuff that seems all the newer units will do. Don't want it . . don't need it . . don't want to have to pay for it.
No WiFi,no GPS,no compass,no temp and humidity,no record. All of that stuff is useless to me and my style of hunting. I do need 640,1X or 2X on the low end of magnification, a 50mm objective,ONLY white hot and black hot.Smaller is better,rock solid mount although the most recoil inertia it will ever be subjected to is that of a 6.8SPCII.
A built in laser rangefinder would be asking too much . . I know. Ease of operation would be a real plus.
COST - - -> Somewhere <$7000 would be easier to get past the family accouant. --- pruhdlr

D

djones

i hope to have a mk3 soon.
mk3 came in. woo hoo. it's a lotta scope. sighted it in and looked for hogs but never saw any. maybe tonight. after i get it bloodied up, i may put it on a good bolt gun and stretch it out some. i'll stick with my orig opinion, it's a kick butt scope for under 10k

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Top 3 sounds like another way of saying "best" ... and "best" depends on the requirements.
For example, I lend out my XP38A to my neighbor for him to slay his rats and he loves it ... and it cost me $2,500 so I love it. It is one of my "best" because it gets the job done at the lowest cost.

But then for long range scanning in open country another device is "best" ...

And so on ... "best" is the device that meets the requirements at the lowest cost ...

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
mk3 came in. woo hoo. it's a lotta scope. sighted it in and looked for hogs but never saw any. maybe tonight. after i get it bloodied up, i may put it on a good bolt gun and stretch it out some. i'll stick with my orig opinion, it's a kick butt scope for under 10k

Great long range unit, saves a lot of walking when you can ID critters from hundreds and hundreds of yards. Silencerco radius will give you range of critters and works well with the mkiii. Brownells had them for 1\2 price under $500.

D

djones

cool. now that you mention it, i seem to recall something about that. i'll have to chk it out. thnx!!

and wiggy, don't confuse the matter. i already said what's best. what else do you need? a free cap??

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
cool. now that you mention it, i seem to recall something about that. i'll have to chk it out. thnx!!

and wiggy, don't confuse the matter. i already said what's best. what else do you need? a free cap??
Yeah, we heard you. But — we're waiting to hear what OneK has to say before we conclude we really know anything! We know his opinion is the only one that matters!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB

I just want the free cap.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I thought the rifle was the part that made the bullets go hit the hogs.

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
good picture in that scope... where was Fuzz??? You could have mixed a drink and turned Gus loose and he would have brought that guy back to you!