Took Brian Out For an Arctic Excursion

diggler1833

LSB Active Member
Seriously though, I hope the weatherman's HVAC goes out on him after missing that call by a mile. We had frost on the truck by 9pm.

We've got a family friend on a couple hundred acres that has been getting demolished over this past week with hogs. This is the same place where I killed those two big pregnant sows a few weeks ago.

Started sitting out by 6pm. By 8 we were standing and trying to get some circulation going. 9pm saw us hunting from the cab of my truck. Brian bet me a solid $1 that the pigs would be out by 9, and I let him keep his dollar to use for gas on his way home.

Saw one smaller sounder about 1020, and started the process of stalking. By the time we reached our firing position, we had moved an additional 200 yards to the south due to bulls, cows, a house behind, and the wind.

Countdown went well, and we dropped the largest two. We even managed to put a few not-so-well-placed shots into the remaining two adults...all we found was a blood trail though.

As always, Brian's video will be better when he gets back from Lowe's with his new dishwasher or whatever other appliance broke on him. For now, you get the best that Windows 95 on an archaic computer has to offer...
Resized_20200106_223028.jpg
Resized_20200106_223143.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Synchronized pig-killin' is good for the soul... The TTBPS thanks you for the donation of the other pair.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It was the weirdest weather. The thermometer said low 40s, but the frost suggested otherwise. I don't get it. However, I stopped being cold after I lost feeling in my fingers and toes. Then diggler said we could sit in the truck and get warm and still watch the field. WHAT???

4 hours in the cold. An hour in the truck, and then the hogs finally showed. Woohoo!

Good stalk. Good communication. Good situational awareness. 2 hogs down and 2 that are likely dead not too far away in the thick woods. The only downside was inability to share video into one. In looking at both versions, it was interesting to me to see how just 3 feet of separation produced very different views of shot opportunities.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There's a LOT going on there. Good situational awareness. Good killin'.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like a good night even if cold. I bet the coyotes are enjoying the other two. Good going guys!