Time of day to hunt besides nights

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member
Hey everybody,

In Canada I am not allowed to do any night hunting so I have to stick to the day light. What time of day would have the most activity and be best to hunt at? Early mornings (30 mins before sunrise), when the day is at its hottest, or evenings (30 mins after sundown)?

Thanks for the help eh!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Perfect. Plain and simple. Thanks

I don't claim to know a lot about hog hunting, but what I do know was learned by spending lots of time in the woods doing the wrong things at the wrong times. When I was getting started, I was so excited about the prospects of killing a hog that I would sit for hours during the middle of the day in the South Carolina heat over bait piles waiting for hogs to come out. I didn't see any hogs. I'd go out hunting ignorant of the wind conditions. I still didn't see any hogs. I try not to do those things anymore.

I'm not sure what phone you have, but take a look at Scout Look Weather. You can enter sites and monitor the wind conditions in real time. If the wind is coming out of the wrong direction, the app will tell you so you don't waste your time or educate the hogs to your presence. Keep a log on your hunting. Look for patterns since hogs can be somewhat predictable when they don't know they are being hunted.

Hog hunting, as with any hunting, is about being at the right place at the right time. You can pattern them, bait them, entice them however you can, but you just have to be there when they show up.

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member
I don't claim to know a lot about hog hunting, but what I do know was learned by spending lots of time in the woods doing the wrong things at the wrong times. When I was getting started, I was so excited about the prospects of killing a hog that I would sit for hours during the middle of the day in the South Carolina heat over bait piles waiting for hogs to come out. I didn't see any hogs. I'd go out hunting ignorant of the wind conditions. I still didn't see any hogs. I try not to do those things anymore.

I'm not sure what phone you have, but take a look at Scout Look Weather. You can enter sites and monitor the wind conditions in real time. If the wind is coming out of the wrong direction, the app will tell you so you don't waste your time or educate the hogs to your presence. Keep a log on your hunting. Look for patterns since hogs can be somewhat predictable when they don't know they are being hunted.

Hog hunting, as with any hunting, is about being at the right place at the right time. You can pattern them, bait them, entice them however you can, but you just have to be there when they show up.

Thanks scrmblr

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Have you tried to contact your game and fish office to see if by chance you could be issued a special night time depredation type of permit?

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Every location is different, since animals are creatures of habit. They tend to create a habit based on the area. The best way to determine this is with game cams over period of time. I usually set up two or even three cams in a prospective active area and if at all possible set up timed bait feeders to force them into a time I want them to be there.

I set up one cam to cover a larger area, however not all cams are sensitive enough to pick up movement from a distance so choose wisely. Another cam set up covering the bait site or suspected gathering area, these can be of lower quality cam since they only need to detect closer shots. Finally potentially a third cam to cover entry/exit game trails if they are out of view from the other two cams, this will tell you when they enter the area and how long it takes them to get to the harvest site.

I have found that depending on the hunting pressure hogs get they may come early morning, late evening, or only under the cover of darkness. Your cams will tell you what that group is accustomed too and if baited long enough without hunting pressure you can force a nocturnal group into the daylight with carefully timed feeders.

Once your location is dialed in, it comes time to harvest. Try to pick out the leader or alpha, that is the one whom leads the group and if you take that one out first the rest will stick with learned habit until another alpha is established. If you can take video of the bait site the alpha will be the one pushing the other around, pretty easy to spot but only under video or actually watching them. Give the grounds a week break or more and take the alpha again if you can determine which one it is and if a new alpha was established. If you repeat this method you will be able to take one or two pigs a week or two like clock work, because they are always in a state of confusion and just stick with their learned habits. Eventually they will catch on, then it start over again.

Ideally if you have two or three sites set up you can alternate which site you harvest from, which will decrease your chances of them catching on. Generally the same group will visit all of your sites and with your recon you know how many are in the group. Also sitting and not harvesting can further increase your chances when sitting to harvest, since you put your scent in the area without disturbance and they don't relate your scent to a loud noise.

Lots of work to dial this in, but well worth the effort in the end.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

When I hunted hogs near Walterboro SC did my best early morning. Wish the farmer would have let us hunt at night. I am very sure the targets would have been bigger and lots more. For some reason he was a little spoked by that. Could have killed a lot more of his problem.

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member
Have you tried to contact your game and fish office to see if by chance you could be issued a special night time depredation type of permit?

It's not that easy. It's federal law that I cannot discharge a firearm during the evening (when completely dark) as it is considered unsafe use of a firearm. I could lose my license, all firearms, and possible jail time. It's stupid I know but there alot of idiots here who I wouldn't trust with a firearm, and I can see why they the RCMP have made the law.

As for a permit, I have not talked with the RCMP about it so I don't know if it's possible, but most likely not.

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member
When I hunted hogs near Walterboro SC did my best early morning. Wish the farmer would have let us hunt at night. I am very sure the targets would have been bigger and lots more. For some reason he was a little spoked by that. Could have killed a lot more of his problem.

Ok will try early mornings. Trial and error.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you can always stalk into the wet and go get them during the day!

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I honestly didn't know hogs were in Canada.
I agree before and after sunrise best. Super cold days. I notice more hogs wandering around all hours of the day to keep fuel in their body for heat.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Meaning hunt them along river and creek beds? That's more of my kind of hunting. Would time of day affect this aswell?

That and find out where they bed down, you need to be quiet and playing the wind but we do it at creeks edge either by walking or floating down a river, all day long...

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member
I honestly didn't know hogs were in Canada.
I agree before and after sunrise best. Super cold days. I notice more hogs wandering around all hours of the day to keep fuel in their body for heat.

From what I understand some farmers in Alberta tried to domesticate them during the mid 90's. Now they are problem enough that the Alberta government has a $50 bounty for each. Other provinces are also having problems with them. This site has a map of sightings and kills all over the country. Check it out if you like. Wild Boars in Canada

Now how cold is super cold? 32F? 0F? -40F?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So it is a few here and there not huge sounders for the most part?

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member
So it is a few here and there not huge sounders for the most part?

Not all the sightings are on that specific site. Some people who report their activities to the county offices do see a sounder, and others see the odd lone hog. I have ran into one hog before while I was hunting whitetail with a buddy of mine, and since wind was not in our favour it was gone before we could figure out what the hell it was and shoot it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well it does not take long but I am betting they don't have as many litters there as here, just too cold, so you have time to keep them under control.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Durring warm weather, I have more succsess in the evenings, when cold the early morning hunts work better. Hogs have a hard time controling their body temps, so when its hot they will bed down in a cool wet place if possible, then as soon as its cooled off a bit they run for water. Im in a fairly dry area so its not too difficult to get between beds and water. In the winter the hogs dont feed all night, they usually feed twilight to 11-12am then bed down together to stay warm, then get back up after the sun has come up to feed again until 9AM or so.
There is a lot of other good advice in this thread.