Throwing a curve ball at nocturnal bucks

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by 437, Jul 5, 2017.

1. 437

437 LSB Active Member

No way to be brief here so pre-apologizing for the rambling.

Large lease, TONS of feeders going off AM and PM and vast majority of trail cams 'like clock work' show nocturnal feeding. Everyone has their ideas on over feeding them I know mine, but I can't control that on a lease with 15 people. What I can control is how I set up my own stand/feeder....which may be futile given everything else going on around me. I'm thinking of employing some midday rut hunting times to early season hunting.

IF you could hunt more during the day in an area like this would you? Our cowboys can and do spot big bucks during the day almost always crossing a field jumping heads all year long. I've spotted a few new bedding areas with huge bucks at night and my mind is spinning. No one ever hunts days on our lease ever even on weekends. So, if I can reorganize a work day and squeeze in some mid day hunts I'd love to hear thoughts on what you'd do. These guys are simply waiting till an hour after sundown and then they go to one of 15 feeders with corn still left....easy peasey. Doe always show up at a few culprit feeders like clockwork for an AM sit which is nice in one sense for guaranteed freezer fare. A deer can scarf up ~ 50% of their nutrition for the day in one feeder session, but what if there was a feeder providing fresh corn mid day and they didn't have to wait until dark to polish off their daily nutrition? Only one place open for lunch? Tack a few cheap Sam's Club peanut butters up to a tree for dessert? Might be worth a shot b/c we have way too many monsters who are enjoying the freedom and cover of after dark eats.

I think perhaps the most compelling reason to do this from eyes on target is that when the other guys get up to leave their stands at say 10am they stir the pot and I've seen it happen. Hunter A gets out to walk to truck and startles a buck who has to move.....there are too many times I've wished I had set up to hunt the 'pot stirring' moments when everyone calls it quits from AM sits.

So I can either set up somewhere on the property where I can intercept those startled bucks in the morning when people go home(patterning hunters!) or set up a new feeder in a completely new area where no one hunts within 1000 yards of me with a noon-ish feeder drop.

Thanks for your thoughts....this article was one of a few I found on the googles which shared my thinking.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2011/03/10/hard-proof-for-hunting-the-midday-shift/

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  2. Chopperdrvr

Chopperdrvr Deep East Tx SUS VENATOR CLUB

Deer are smart, every one knows that. But, most people disrespect their ability to pattern the hunters. They know when you come into their back yard and when you leave. The three top bucks I have killed were between 1100 and 1300. The time that most people have trained their deer that it is safe to move around. If you know where they are bedded, I would set up between them and a food/water source and plan on staying all day. And be QUIET.

3. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Were those during the rut? I really am thinking about doing both approaches from opening day: letting exiting hunters stir the pot and having my feeder drop corn late morning to mid day.

4. scrmblr1982cj8

scrmblr1982cj8 LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

Give it a try. I agree with deer's ability to pattern hunters. I've seen too many photos of bucks going to the feeder 45 minutes after I leave. I'm always as careful as possible regarding noise and scent, so I'm convinced they can tell when we are in the woods.

If nothing else, maybe you can learn something from your midday hunts that will help you drop a big buck.

5. 437

437 LSB Active Member

There is no question they know the feeding routine by now. Couple of club stands in proximity where I'm going to wait for pot stirring/exiting hunters, but I'm going to set my personal climber feeder for about 11am for opening weekend and hit that on perfect wind/weather days for a good month b/f I make any changes. Might turn out to be a cluster bang, but I'm willing to get outside the box

6. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Look at the record books and see what time many monster bucks were killed all over the US and you will see that 1 pm and both sides of it produce some of the biggest bucks taken.

Chopperdrvr likes this.
  7. Chopperdrvr

Chopperdrvr Deep East Tx SUS VENATOR CLUB

One was during the rut, and it was the third down the list. The top two were not, just very smart deer.

8. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Like!

9. rgilbert

rgilbert LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB

Be the quiet one. Don't drive in. Walk in and only if the wind is in your favor. Wait at least an hour after the others guys head back to camp. Walk out quiet. Big bucks will not come around if they know you are in the area. Stay in the afternoon until you can no longer judge a deer through your scope. Remember if a big buck does not have a hot doe he is not going to stay around long. Big bucks seldom come to a feeder. They hang on the edges waiting for a doe to come in. Watch the brush more than the feeder. You can always look at it. Make your judgement and shoot him.

I hope you have a very large lease if you have that many hunters on it. Good luck.

RattlesnakeDan likes this.
  10. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

I leave my regular feeders going 10 and 2-3 then I place another feeder in a known route from the bedding areas or water deeper in the woods and feed at noon. The big bucks hate the plots and feeders in the open during shooting times and this new one confuses them set up in the woods.

11. Cazz

Cazz US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

I'm no expert but I hunt deer at all hours of the day, not just morning and evening. So far it's paid off pretty well.
    Wisc 10pt.JPG

12. Ratdog68

Ratdog68 LSB Official Story Teller LoneStarBoars Supporter

Fine buck there !!!

13. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Wowsa, Big Buck!

14. RattlesnakeDan

I guy I know shot the #1 archery killed whitetail in Colorado in the late 70's or early 80's at 1 pm. He was climbing up a tree hanging a stand. He heard something and looked behind him to see a 190 class buck standing there watching him. While he was on his knees facing the tree he turned around and managed to get a shot off for the state record. Never even got to sit in his stand that year. lol

OneK likes this.
  15. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Thanks Dan. The more I think on this the more I'm leaning towards this MO for 2017. We have a lot of guys who get out early and leave after 2 hours. Plus the cow pokes always report seeing the monsters during the day jumping heads on the mid day stroll. I'm pretty excited, but cautiously optimistic to check the camera this weekend. I have 3 other spots I'm gonna drop corn b/f I commit hardware....October 14 is comin!

16. RattlesnakeDan

We used to pheasant hunt hard in Colorado, first light then back to the shack for lunch and afternoon break and back out before dusk. These old timers used to go out at 11 am and back home before we went out for our evening and they would almost always have their limit. We accused them of buying their birds of course.

17. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Here's hoping for October Accusations

18. slim_shady

slim_shady LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ya its not fair. They have those Giant up north Whitetails!

19. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Dang I missed that picture! Nice dinner right there.

20. Cazz

Cazz US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Mebbe so, but this is the one I got in Texas.... I'm an equal geographic opportunity hunter!

LB 12 point 1.jpg