This may be a dumb question...

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok guys just as the title states, please don't scold me, (I chose to post this here instead of over at 68forums for this very reason), I am posting to learn not to sound dumb or ask questions that may have already been asked.

As you all know I am currently building a 6.8spc. My initial plans were to build an upper and run it on my current AR15 lower until I can afford to build a dedicated lower for this rifle. After doing a lot of reading over on 68forums it is my understanding that I wont be able to run this upper on my AR15 lower? Not because of the receivers matching up but because of the 6.8 mags not fitting the standard AR15 mag well and because I wont be able to use .223 mags and run 6.8 ammo in them. Is this true?

If the above statement is true, then whenever I start gathering parts to assemble my lower, I cannot just use any standard lower receiver? I will have to purchase a dedicated 6.8 lower receiver such as the LWRCI, is this correct?

When I originally decided to start this project I was under the impression that I would be able to use a standard AR lower receiver, however the more reading I do the more skeptical of that belief I become.

Again, not trying to go over something that has been covered a million times, I'm just trying to learn.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Your lower will work fine. You can't use the Pmags that fit the LWRCI. You have to use mags designed for the 6.8 standard AR.

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok, that's what I was hoping to hear, but the guys over on 68forums had me second guessing everything that I had already read.

So basically any 6.8 mag other than the Pmags correct? Which sucks because I really like my pmags for my .223.

Any particular mags to stay away from? Any that you recommend?

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think you are getting congused. They are referring to LWRC Six8 lower which only 6.8 specific pmags can be used, they are bigger than a 5.56 pmag and have red followers. Like in my avatar.

You cannot use standard 5.56 mags with a 6.8 because the magazine will buldge and not feed properly. There are specific 6.8 mags for a standard ar lower and since you are on a budget I suggest ASC 6.8 mags they run about $12 or so.

Only thing different between a 5.56 AR and a 6.8 AR are as follows. Barrel, muzzle devise, bolt only (not carrier just bolt), and finally magazine. Everything else is standard AR mil spec parts.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I use and reccomend the ASC brand of 5 shot and 10 shot mags.

AND ..... in my Bushmaster lower,the 20rd MagPul's will work if I only put 6 or 7 rds in them. I blocked three of them off to only be used as 5 shot mags. They work perfect with either the 85gr Barnes TSX or even the 115gr Fed Fusion. --- pruhdlr

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
there are no dumb questions......................................................................................

easy