Thinking about going .308

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What do you think? http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/75794

I would need a free float hand guard, a JP adjustable gas block, Pmags and a buttstock, not sure what all that cost but OTD at my FFL the weapon is $933 OH and ammo. Now I have my 6.8's already, but always wanted an AR-10, I am so cheap am having difficulty spending the $$ but know they will never be cheaper, just wish it was a bit lighter.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a really good price. I skipped over the 308 and I'm building a 358 Winchester ar-10

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am just not thrilled with a 10+lb weapon when the 6.8 does almost the same thing at 7.5. Great price but I may hold off especially with St Joe paper selling our lease land to the Mormon's, all our leases are up in the air.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's not good. Might be no more hunting?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just don't know till we get letters from the new owner, they close first quarter of '14, I am trying to make alternative plans just in case.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hopefully you find something. I need a place to test my new 358

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
May have to find a lease in Al, I hate this as we have very few rules, great for a hunter. Time will tell..can't worry about things out of your control.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I ordered my new .308 beginning of January still jot here yet. Sorry to hear about the lease that's no bueno.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I ordered my new .308 beginning of January still jot here yet. Sorry to hear about the lease that's no bueno.
Don't feel like the Lone Stranger Kemosabe... a co-worker of mine ordered a Colt 901 as well... he's still waiting too.

Last edited:

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I ordered my 358 barrel back in may, I don't expect to see it till next year. I haven't even started looking for a receiver set yet because of all the other builds. It will defiantly be a stand/blind gun because like frank said, they are heavy

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If I were going with .308, it would be a bolt gun. You know how I like my ARs, but a bolt action would serve my needs better than an AR for this caliber.

Smitty

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was going to get a 308 bolt action but ended up with my 357 lever action. I'm not sure what I want next

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Smitty, that is about what I decided and not carrying a 12lb gun loaded and w optics.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I am definitely with Smitty on this one. IMO there are good chamberings for use in the AR platform.....and then.....not. Especially if the chambering is powder(power)sensitive like some of the WSM/WSSM's. To me the 6.8SPCII is perfect for the AR....the 300Win Mag IS NOT.

I have a Rem 700 SPS TAC chambered in 308Win inbound right now. It is identical to the gun offered in 300BLK. I have a BO,however it is not in a AR action,it is a single shot. The 308 on order has the 16.5" heavy bbl(1:10 twist) threaded 5/8X24 for suppressor(in my case muzzle brake). It also has a Hogue over molded,pillar bedded stock and a completely adjustable trigger. Thinkin' that this could be my new thermal gun. ESPECIALLY with ammo downloaded with H4895 using the 60% rule.

The following are some examples:
110gr using between 29.4 and 49.0grs of powder
125gr using between 26.7 and 46.0grs of powder
150gr using between 27.3 and 45.5grs of powder
168gr using between 25.8 and 43.0grs of powder
190gr using between 25.2 and 42.0grs of powder

Even with adjustable gas block you could not vary the powder charge this much with an AR. Using the above formula,you could load down the 308 depending on bullet chosen or to save your NV/thermal from the ammo's produced inertia. Some of the H4895 loads are only producing 30,500CUP. I do not know any of the velocities associated with the different bullet weights while using H4895. I will have to break out my chrono and do some testing after deer season.

Using H4895 would bring you above the Trail Boss velocities(pretty much subsonic) and well under the loading manuals min loads using the different powders.

To the OP ---> for me paying the $933 + the shipping + the transfer fee + adding a different hand grip + adding a floating handguard + adding a well made(MagPul ?)and PADDED stock + adding a great brake + adding a great trigger(Geissele) + the cost of mags(5 rd ?),I could buy a great bolt gun. --- pruhdlr

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am there, convinced, something like a Ruger Hawkeye compact in 308, perfect!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have been takin' the "tour" of the local(and some not so local)gun shops lately. In re. to 308Win chambered bolt guns...there is a huge selection. In all different configurations. Obviously,all have the short action which is a real plus as far as weight and OAL of firearm. I have seen some that were damn near 40 inches long though,simply because of their 14 1/2" LOP's and longer bbls. For me....UNSAT !!

As far as bbls go,for our purposes,short and stiff(heavy)is the way to go. We are not slingin' 190's out to 600yds. We(I)do want stability when the forearm is rested though. IMO 20 inches is all we need. As long as it is heavy.....IMO,>.800". For me a 10 twist was needed so that I could slow the bullets down and still maintain not only stability,but I want the bullets rotational velocity high so the terminal ballistics will be better. When they just start to open I want centrifugal force to help pull 'em open.

When deer season was fast approaching I knew that I would miss carrying my 6.8/Bison. Every time I open my safe I see that Leupold VX-R that was on it ,staring back at me. When my 308 arrives I will install it to do some range work. I will develop a nice mild load,with the bullet that I want,then transfer my thermal to it. (Maybe,Probably... ?) --- pruhdlr

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have been takin' the "tour" of the local(and some not so local)gun shops lately. In re. to 308Win chambered bolt guns...there is a huge selection. In all different configurations. Obviously,all have the short action which is a real plus as far as weight and OAL of firearm. I have seen some that were damn near 40 inches long though,simply because of their 14 1/2" LOP's and longer bbls. For me....UNSAT !!

As far as bbls go,for our purposes,short and stiff(heavy)is the way to go. We are not slingin' 190's out to 600yds. We(I)do want stability when the forearm is rested though. IMO 20 inches is all we need. As long as it is heavy.....IMO,>.800". For me a 10 twist was needed so that I could slow the bullets down and still maintain not only stability,but I want the bullets rotational velocity high so the terminal ballistics will be better. When they just start to open I want centrifugal force to help pull 'em open.

When deer season was fast approaching I knew that I would miss carrying my 6.8/Bison. Every time I open my safe I see that Leupold VX-R that was on it ,staring back at me. When my 308 arrives I will install it to do some range work. I will develop a nice mild load,with the bullet that I want,then transfer my thermal to it. (Maybe,Probably... ?) --- pruhdlr
I have a VX-R on my POF P308 and it work very well. It is what I used to kill the hog in my avatar.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You are absolutely correct sir. The VX-R line of scopes are great. I have two of them(3-9X40 and 3-9X50 w/ CDS)and have been able to see the small red dot when I could not see the crosshairs during night hunting using my Laser Genetics ND-3.

I am seriously considering another one in 2-7X33 for my Handi/BO. --- pruhdlr